Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 10-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #21

Default bridging ladders

Yes, the 2x6 work great for the trailer, not so much for the Tow Vehicle. My wife and I have become a pretty good team and pulling the trailer out of tricky spots. Once it took us 45 minutes to transition from a downward sloping forest trail onto the main forest road using a combination of leveling blocks and improvised equipment. Luckily the road wasn't well traveled so we could block the road for 35 minutes before someone else came along.

I must admit I'm starting to like the idea of a skidplate more and more... and maybe some bridging ladders !

s205designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #22
Site Team

s205 - You DO camp in some out of the way places, don't you?

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
s205 - You DO camp in some out of the way places, don't you?

- Jack
That's our long-term goal. We live in Colorado, so there's lots of "dispersed" camping available. Though we're happy to pay for some places that are more quiet (like catching RMNP at the season changes), we want to have as much independence as is reasonable.

Plus visiting places in the west is just convenient with an RV/camper.
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #24

We're based in New Mexico so some of the places we go are pretty far out. I do a lot of "google map" recon to try to find forest roads with interesting places. Often I try to find a spot with a visible fire ring from the satellite and if there happened to be a trailer in the sat photo at the time also good. Of course the terrain and weather likely change things a lot since the photos have been taken so that does make for some challenges (aka adventures).

Prior to our first child we were tent and backpacking campers so my wife was used to being able to go anywhere you could go on foot or via a 4x4 truck. When we were expecting our first, I said "guess we're done camping" to which she replied "guess we're getting a trailer" and thus the hilo was acquired. We still don't use it as much as I want but that's how it goes I guess... (sadly only 6 camping trips this past year)
s205designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #25

I raised the sewer connection on my 2305 so that skid bar is now only 5” below the the frame rail. I have never had an issue draining the tanks in the 4 plus years since I performed this modification.

The skirting on trailer has been removed so that is not an issue

My trailer has lived on top of this truck for the last four plus years with only a few minor issues but I grew up on boats and secure everything the same way.

My biggest issue is that bathroom cabinets sometimes open up when driving.

I only put light items in the upper cabinets and check the screws regularly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60DBBF40-F36B-4BA0-97E5-A4BEE4C8995B.jpg (219.7 KB, 4 views)
quickfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #26

quickfarms, did you ever think of installing a small magnet on each door in the bathroom? That, along with the standard closure, would make the cabinet doors tighter when jumping around on "primitive" roads.
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #27
Site Team

I had a similar problem with the door under the sink, the door into the "wardrobe", and the small drawer next to the fridge. I added additional magnetic catches to each of them and now they stay closed.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote