General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-12-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Jms

Default Side of camper top bowing out.

I have a 2002 22 ft. Hilo. The side is bowing out especially under the two windows. This is on the side with the window over the sink. The lift is working fine. No apparent leaks noticeable on the inside of the camper. It appears the lift cable is pulling the bottom Of the top to an angle. Looking for repair advise.

Jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
RGJ

I have one with the same problem the most probable cause water has rotted the lower wood frame inside the side rail no an easy fix! You need to remove inner or outer covering and replace with pressure treated material. Good luck!!!?

RGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Jms

Thanks for reply. Yes, I expected that was the case. It seems that the two cable connections add pressure to the rotted wood as that is where the bowing out is most obvious.
First, everything is working fine. At what point is it necessary to do this work. Is it necessary at all as it has been the same for 1-2 years.
Second, is it easier to remove outer or inner covering? Does entire top need to come off or can the covering be removed with top supported and cables detached.
I thought I saw somewhere that 2002 Towlite had aluminum framing.
Thanks
Jms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow, window leak