Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Stacked bunk beds...

Ive got an 88 22 footer with the front dinette and drop down bunk. Ive removed the couch sections from the front dinette and keeping the frame for the cabinets below made a new base and oak face to convert it into a full 3/4 bed with a normal mattress....a lot more comfortable!

I also removed the shower and the rear part of the counter up tp the end of the stove and built some new lower "walls" finihsed in the same panneling that the factory walls used to make a lower bunk and an upper bunk (both singles) for the kids. The rear curtain partitions were re-located to the sides of the bunks to finish off the partition between the bunk and the toilet. I had to modifty the plumbing a little to get the height that I wanted for the bunks but it worked great.

My wife was wanting to sell the camper before I did this...nos whe loves it. We use the front drop down bunk for storage of bags and stuff while we;re camped and the kids each have their own bunk. All we lost out of the camper was the shower but we never planned on using it anyways...you can always find a shower at a campground

Sorry I don't have pics right now. I didn't take any last summer...right now the trailer is under 18" of snow so It's a little hard getting to it.

I'm also planning to machine new rail guides as the original ones are all broken (all but one). Ive remaired as best I can and have got it all working again but it needs a better design...That's one of my winter projects.

Also, Ive got a plan for the perimeter seals. Im thinking of modifying the whole sealing setup using a pair of separate seals rather than one. The lower seal will run along the bottom of the upper wall and the upper seal will run about 6" above (where the top of the lower wall meets).

I know, kinda confusing without pictures. I'll get some up one day.

sportee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #2

Sportee, Did you make your own hardware for the bunks? If not where did you get it? I want to add one to mine.

Thanks

boater454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

have you taken any pictures of your changes? I would love to see them
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote