Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default Stove/oven

Has anyone replaced their three burner and installed an oven/stove? I was wondering if it could be done, and if so, is it worth it? Thanks!

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
Has anyone replaced their three burner and installed an oven/stove? I was wondering if it could be done, and if so, is it worth it? Thanks!
This sounds like an EXCELLENT mod! Our burner top has a microwave under it that is unusable unless we are camped where there is "shore power" - and we try to stay away from those sites.

Hope someone has an answer for you (and me).

- Jack

Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #3

my 99 24 foot towlite has a 3 burner stove oven in it already, so they will fit.
kwdstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #4

When we were looking at buying our new 2207T (in 2007), it was equipped with the 3-burner cooktop and a microwave below it. We asked the dealer if it was possible for them to remove the microwave and exchange it for an oven. The dealer did this swap for us and we are very happy with the results. We felt that we could always use the oven no matter where we camped but not so with the microwave.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #5

As soon as I get the exact measurements of the cabinet under the stove, I'm going to do the exact opposite.

Currently the unit we're buying doesn't have either an oven or a microwave. I want to find a micro/convection oven to put there.

We'll be staying mostly in CGs that have electricity, or boondocking at football weekends and will have a generator going.

We had a Trail-Lite 7211 that had an oven once. We used the oven just once. Cooked a pizza in it just to see how it would turn out.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #6

The cabinets in the Hilo are a standard size, at least in later years, and were made to accommodate the generic cooktop, cooktop/oven, or cooktop/microwave combinations. So replacing one for another should be relatively easy once you get past the cost of the units.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #7

Hmmm, mine has a 4 burner stove/oven... No intention what-so-ever of using a microwave... don't like em', haven't had one for the past 7 years or so. I only use the ones at work because there isn't any other option for heating my food.
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

Default replaced stove

When I first got my 07 I decided that I would seldom use the microwave, as we dry camp a lot. Went to a RV parts place and ordered a stove with oven. Simple to replace, remove top (gas connections, etc), remove wood separator between stove top and microwave, remove microwave. Put that stuff in the barn. Microwave is usable as a desk top unit, has mounting brackets, etc that are removable. Then drop in stove unit, and hook up gas etc.
Pretty much plug n play, nothing complex. Think HiLo was made for stove with oven, and microwave was an afterthought. Same size hole for either, just add the wood separator. Did that in 07, so don't remember the details, sorry.
ohdeeremee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #9

When we got our first HiLo in 1995, the factory made the 4 burner stove top and oven as an option. The 4 burner stove top and microwave was standard. The following year the microwave was optional and the oven was standard. In 1999 they only offered a 3 burner top and oven, no microwave option.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #10

Last year, before we gave our 1969 Bon Voyage to my son and daughter-in-law, we replaced the burner/oven unit (the oven had failed about 5 years ago, and repair parts were no longer available).

The manager at our local RV repair shop looked for over a week before he found an outfit that was a very close fit for that generation of Hi-Lo cabinet design. It was close, in that the width and depth were good, but the height was a bit taller than the original and required a little cabinet trimming.

My point is, and what I learned from studying a number of catalogs, is that regardless of the age of your trailer, with diligence a stove/oven that will fit can be found!

Incidentally, our RV manager first checked other RV/camper dealers in the area to see what they had pulled out of other trailers and had sitting around. Turns out that a number of new owners want something other than what their trailers came with and have the dealer swap out as a purchase incentive. Might be worth checking around...these things are often available for a lesser price!

Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote