Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #1

Default The Storage Cubbys by the Door

It seems like such a waste, to have a "2 story" catch all. We have our owners manuals and an assortment of bungies and tools in them. It also seems to be a "throw anything small" spot. I think this area could be used more practically. I would like to retro-fit it and use it for drawers for clothes. I can't seem to find anyplace to store them in our trailer (18 footer) other than in a duffle bag shoved in a corner. I have seen microwaves placed in this spot...

Noreene

Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #2

DW and I also think that we need more clothing space. We're looking at different ways to 'create' just a little more storage. Hanging shelves maybe? We're just kicking around ideas at the moment.

Neal

Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #3

Default Storage

Does your trailer have a upper bunk and do you use it for a bed. If not you can use this space for storage the best way to convert it is to drill a whole through both fold down hinges and install a screw. This will keep it from folding down to bed hight.Then install a spacer block on both side, to the front catches. Remove the matress this will give you a 1 ft tall shelf the size of the bed for storage and if you change your mind you can reverse the modifications very easly. If you wish to remove the bed, you can install optional cabnets in place of the bed. You can get the cabnets from H&t.
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #4

Yup, we have grandchildren and they always want the top bunk. So that won't work, although I like your adaptation for storage! Thanks, Sam!
I use the cupboard with the clothes rod in it for a breadbox, I put large stacking plastic drawers in there. I'm thinking about taking that stuff out, putting my bread in a plastic shoe box in the upper cupboards and reclaiming it for clothes storage.
BTW, we have clothes rod running from the corner bathroom across the back of our trailer. I hang coats on it whole traveling, and they always end up on the floor. Any hot tips on how to keep them on the rod?
Thanks, Noreene
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #5

Default keep it on the rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
Yup, we have grandchildren and they always want the top bunk. So that won't work, although I like your adaptation for storage! Thanks, Sam!
I use the cupboard with the clothes rod in it for a breadbox, I put large stacking plastic drawers in there. I'm thinking about taking that stuff out, putting my bread in a plastic shoe box in the upper cupboards and reclaiming it for clothes storage.
BTW, we have clothes rod running from the corner bathroom across the back of our trailer. I hang coats on it whole traveling, and they always end up on the floor. Any hot tips on how to keep them on the rod?
Thanks, Noreene
If yor install a eyelet on each end of the close rod then streach a bungie cord over the rod the close hanger is held tight to the rod and won't jump off the rod on rough roads.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #6

Just read the post but have you tried foam pipe insulation? It's cheap to buy and easy to wrap around the clothes rod. Makes the hangers fit tight and keeps them from slipping off! I also use this stuff to wrap around the handgrips on my ATV. Really keeps down the vibrations!!!

cobaltboatfan is offline   Reply With Quote