Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 04-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Default Wallpaper removal or paint over

As the subject states. Is it easy to remove the wallpaper on an 89 Voyager? Should I just paint over it?

Also, in regards to the cabinets, should I sand them before painting?

xr600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Team

How are you planning to finish the cabinets? If you're going to use new stain and a transparent finish, then you need to get the old finish off, in my opinion. There are finish removers that do that task, but I use them in conjunction with sanding.

If you're re coating the cabinets with an opaque paint, then they need to be clean. Use TSP to get all the grime and grease off and then sand enough to provide a "tooth" for the paint.

Is the wallpaper sound? If so, I'd just paint over it. But if it's pealing off or bubbling, then I'd remove it all before painting. I've never removed wallpaper, but I imagine there are numerous utube videos on how to do it.

- Jack

Old 04-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
sam

Default Wall paper removes vs painting.

It is really hard and messy to remove wallpaper in a HiLo as the board the wallpaper is on is only 1/8th inches. It would leave gouges. If your kitchen/bathroom cupboard are real wood on the face you could use Restore a finish that is sold at Home Depot. Jack has given you good advice if you want to paint your cabinents. Many on this forum have painted the cupboards. Use a high quality enamel paint meant for cabinents. Preparation is key for a good looking finished product.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Team

xr, As jack suggested, use TSP according to directions. we used this product after seeing it used on a friends Hi Lo. We did ALL the paneling and cabinets. What a tremendous difference throughout. Light grey upper and darker grey lower with bright white gloss cabinets and trim.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote