Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Default window re-seal

Am continuing with my re-seal efforts. Took out front window and had a bear getting it out as the caulking was holding it in real good, and no water damage. Regret removing it except I am now going to check the inside of all windows regardless. Last window I did I believe I put the butyl tape on the camper and proceeded from there. However, going back and looking at TREECLIMBERS post where he used the other product in addition to the tape and it seemed he applied to the inside of window as well- I'm wondering about doing that as It seemed to add more material which the original HI-LO procedure seemed to do. Any thoughts and, TREECLIMBER, how has that worked?

Thanks

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
sam

Default Resealing/reinstalling window

We consulted with our HiLo dealer and then took out all windows. We just used butyl tape on the round curve of the window while it was out. No butyl tape on the exterior of the HiLo. Because our fiberglass was wavy we again consulted with our dealer and used two wraps of butyl tape. Two schools of thought on this. Put window back in and wait a few days to use bread and butter knife to remove squished out butyl tape. Then apply Lexel caulk. Second option. Remove excess butyl tape that squishes out and immediately apply Lexel caulk. Check window yearly and see if caulk has pulled away and needs to be redone. Glad to hear you are finding no further damage as you pull out more windows. Once in a while you get a break!!

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Team

hilltool, I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to comment. I was lucky enough to have a local mobile home builder show several of us how his company installed their windows and was able to offer a guarantee on those windows. The tape was applied to the exterior of the trailer and the caulk applied to the window. Installed and, as Sam said, excess removed and two days later excess removed again and Lexel applied. This has worked great! and to this day, the caulk is still intact. Don't know if the "new" Hi lo needs it, but later on I'll do the same, just as a precaution.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #4

Thanks tree. I went ahead and did it YOUR way. My only issue was I had what I consider a hard time getting the lexel applied nicely. . But that is typical of me. Using a smaller bead certainly worked better and by the time I got done with the last of the windows I was getting more professional results. And, yes, I did the wetted finger trick. Time will tell how it all works out but that is a hell of a lot of sealant and it certainly should do the trick.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Worth it though. mine still looks great, like I did it yesterday. My finish caulk isn't perfect either, but I know it's done right!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote