Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 12-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #1

Default Winter Camping?

Hi everyone!

Thinking about getting a 27' Hi-Lo and doing some winter camping in the mountains. How hard are Hi-Lo's to heat?

HappyCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:22 PM   #2

Default Winter camping

HiLo trailers are only three season. If you were to do this I would suggest that you rustproof the under side of any trailer that you use in the winter. I have a 26ft. Classic and the bathroom is a little cooler than the rest of the trailer. I use a small electric heater in the BR. Condensation will be a problem. You would have to use a generator to keep the furnice running. Use an electric blanket or a electric pad on the bed. Maybe a sleeping bag good for minus below temps.One time we woke to snow ice in October. You also would have to leave a vent cracked. Some have under belly blankets on the fresh water tank. Put sheets of rigid insulation in the back of interior cupboards. Add extra insulation to the exterior storage bays.

Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi5678 View Post
HiLo trailers are only three season. If you were to do this I would suggest that you rustproof the under side of any trailer that you use in the winter. I have a 26ft. Classic and the bathroom is a little cooler than the rest of the trailer. I use a small electric heater in the BR. Condensation will be a problem. You would have to use a generator to keep the furnice running. Use an electric blanket or a electric pad on the bed. Maybe a sleeping bag good for minus below temps.One time we woke to snow ice in October. You also would have to leave a vent cracked. Some have under belly blankets on the fresh water tank. Put sheets of rigid insulation in the back of interior cupboards. Add extra insulation to the exterior storage bays.
Thanks for the info. The 26 is also one of my favorites. Not many for sale around plus Im Canadian and dealing with the border and travelling right now is ill advised. Hopefully travel can resume in the spring. What about air leakage around the upper and lower parts? Ive heard that some of the A-Liner guys use pool noodles between the leaky bits. Do you have a skirt for your trailer?
Best of the season.
HappyCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

Default Winter Camping

I don't skirt my HiLo. If the seals are in proper working order than you should not have much leakage. Some have used grey tube insulation on the exterior if the seals are in need of replacement. On my old HiLo 1990 I made "snakes" out of bath towels and filled them with beans for extra insulation around the door,ref.and one imperfect wall. Check out You Tube winter camping. Artic Fox and ORV trailers are four season. Do a search for four season trailers. I hear you about the Canadian/USA border. Seems the rules change frequently. What is your tow vehicle? Look in the library for layouts and tongue wts.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #5

Just returned from a trip including 3 nights in AZ's high desert with overnight temps at or just above freezing. Had shore power all 3 nights - windy 1st night, ran furnace a fair bit, were still cold (older, thin cotton flannel sheets / 2 comforters on bed). Switched to fleece sheets 2nd night, left furnace on with thermostat on lowest setting, were very comfortable. Only significant air cold air leakage was at the separation between upper and lower sections of the door, rolled a fleece blanket & laid it in the joint on the inside of the door, made a big difference.

Spent 3 nights on the central CA coast on the way home (overnight temps in the upper 40's), weren't aware of the furnace coming on at anytime overnight - started the trip with both propane tanks full and only used about half of one tank. In the future, will probably use a compact electric heater when we have shore power - no point in burning propane unnecessarily....