Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 08-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #1

Default Won’t lower

We just got our first hi-lo. Raised and lowered twice while looking at it. Got it home and raised it but now it won’t lower. Can this happen if it isn’t level?

2002 HiLo 24D

nanarjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
Site Team

When you say it won't lower, you haven't given us enough information. Is the Master Switch in the "Raise/Lower" position? When you pulled the safety bar lanyard, did it pull out like it did when you lowered the top when you bought it? If the lanyard did not pull out, did you raise the top off the safety bar and then pull the lanyard?

There's very little that will stop the top from lowering. If the top went up, there's plenty of battery power and it takes very little power to open the lowering valve. Having the trailer out of level would not normally stop it from lowering. But having something blocking the top from moving would. Is everything clear?

Usually, when a new owner has trouble with the top moving, it's "user error", and most of us have experienced this.

- Jack

Old 08-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
When you say it won't lower, you haven't given us enough information. Is the Master Switch in the "Raise/Lower" position? When you pulled the safety bar lanyard, did it pull out like it did when you lowered the top when you bought it? If the lanyard did not pull out, did you raise the top off the safety bar and then pull the lanyard?

There's very little that will stop the top from lowering. If the top went up, there's plenty of battery power and it takes very little power to open the lowering valve. Having the trailer out of level would not normally stop it from lowering. But having something blocking the top from moving would. Is everything clear?

Usually, when a new owner has trouble with the top moving, it's "user error", and most of us have experienced this.

- Jack
As a new owner I am even now more confused. My husband watched the previous owner raise and lower it. He said that tall he did was push the switch inside the door. He does not remember anything about a safety bar lanyard. To raise it he simply pushed the switch and held it until it was fully raised. We do not have a users manual and know nothing about the camper other than what we were shown.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:

- Jack
Hi again, I found a user manual online and I figured out what the safety lanyard was. Evidently my husband wasn’t paying enough attention when the previous owner showed him how to lower the camper. I appreciate your help. I wass able to lower it with no problem. Now I feel kind of silly. Thanks again
Old 08-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #5

Default Welcome to the forum

You might want to watch the instructional videos on how to operate. No question is silly. We are a helpful group of dedicated HiLo owners.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Team

*grin* As Usagi said, don't feel silly - this trailer is somewhat more complicated than the standard design and it takes a while to learn all its "features". The instructional videos that were mentioned can be found here: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49...-youtube-1233/ Drop down to Post #3 and you'll see all of them. The first one is mostly an advertisement, but start there and look at them ALL, in order. Video #5 covers raising and lowering and #7 covers the manual backup you probably have. They are not ALL applicable to YOUR trailer, but most are.

Oh, and THANK YOU for getting back to us! It really helps when we have a two-way conversation and you're much more likely to get the help you need.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
*grin* As Usagi said, don't feel silly - this trailer is somewhat more complicated than the standard design and it takes a while to learn all its "features". The instructional videos that were mentioned can be found here: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49...-youtube-1233/ Drop down to Post #3 and you'll see all of them. The first one is mostly an advertisement, but start there and look at them ALL, in order. Video #5 covers raising and lowering and #7 covers the manual backup you probably have. They are not ALL applicable to YOUR trailer, but most are.

Oh, and THANK YOU for getting back to us! It really helps when we have a two-way conversation and you're much more likely to get the help you need.

- Jack
Thanks again Jack. I really appreciate it. After I lowered it, I had to give my husband a hard time 😁
Old 08-16-2022, 01:56 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanarjp View Post
Thanks again Jack. I really appreciate it. After I lowered it, I had to give my husband a hard time 😁
Husbands often need that. We tend to get too full of ourselves. *thumbsup*

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote