Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Cooking and Camp Chow Add your favorite recipes to our Hi-Lo community cookbook, discuss food storage, menu prep and camping cuisine.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #1

Default Dutch Oven Questions

Where do you set your dutch oven when cooking, on the ground or on a stand. I saw a picture where someone appeared to have theirs set in a large metal pan like a pig feeding pan. When cooking something that takes a long time to cook when do you add more charcoal. Do you add all new charcoal or do you add to what is there? We have done a few things in ours but have never been around any experienced dutch oven cooks.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #2

You could do that Rich in a pan. You also can do it on the ground. I took an old gas grill and put a piece of sheet metal on it to put the coals on so I don't have to bend down to cook. It really is up to you the only thing I can say is if it is windy you will want it lower so the wind doesn't affect the heat. As far as adding coals I do not remove the coals on there just add more. This is a good site to check out with lots of info. There are many more.

Harry
Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking Page

wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #3

When you say adding coals do you mean already lit charcoal or do you add unlit charcoal. I assume you mean lit.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

yes light some prior to needing them to the side then place them on or under. The key is even heating no hot spots. ever 15 min you can rotate the lid with coals on it 90 degrees and also the oven itself this will reduce the likelihood of hot spots.

Harry
Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #5

We did a pineapple upside down cake over the weekend and it came out very well. I think we got the heat right this time. Thanks for the good advice.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #6

try a cobbler they are great just add the ingredients and when done it will be wonderful. Roasts pork or beef are good you can bake or cook anything you can imagine with a dutch oven I have learned alot from Boy Scouts and have enjoyed some delicious foods.

Harry
Old 02-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #7

Default folding table For dutch oven

Bass Pro has a metal folding table with 3 sides to block wind while cooking with a dutch oven.
These make it easy on the back.
We also use a "chimney" and charcoal. The chimney holds several bricketts and you build the fire on top of the table. When bricketts turn to red just pull the chimney off and arrange the coals with tongs. After you get the duch cooking, start some more bricketts on fire so they are ready to use when your ready.

To cook at about 350 degrees start with about 8 coals on bottom and 4 coals on top, add more as they burn down, be sure to rotate lid and oven every once inawhile to keep the heat even.
Lisa A Cromwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #8

Default Good dutch oven receipe

You should try the spice cake receipe I posted in the cook book. It is really yummy.
Lisa A Cromwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #9

Smile

I am a ScoutMaster for one of our Boy Scout Troops here and we do alot of Dutch Oven Cooking and we have learned to use old BBQ Grills with the lid taken off and the inside components taken out to use as a table hight and wind shelter, the Troop has 4 of them stored in the Troop Trailer at all times.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #10

exactly what I did Paul. Works great.

Harry