Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Cooking and Camp Chow Add your favorite recipes to our Hi-Lo community cookbook, discuss food storage, menu prep and camping cuisine.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Default This is supposed to be Spring... right???

Snow is still coming down strong here in IN, and I have the camping fever bad! So I have been occupying myself with searching for good meals for camping. I have a good little collection so far on my Pinterest board. Do y'all have any good, quick, and easy go-to meals?

SarahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahC View Post
Snow is still coming down strong here in IN, and I have the camping fever bad! So I have been occupying myself with searching for good meals for camping. I have a good little collection so far on my Pinterest board. Do y'all have any good, quick, and easy go-to meals?
Check it out!

Cook book - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Haha! I saw that I posted this here last night, I really did mean for it to be posted in the cook book subforum
Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Default Moved

I moved it to cook book. Now I need to go take a look at the collection.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

thank you
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #6

Oh I just realized, a lot of people aren't used to how Pinterest works... it's pretty easy. When you click the photo it enlarges it, then you click the enlarged photo and it opens a new tab to the website it is from. Whenever I find recipes, diy projects, or just about anything that interests me I 'pin' it to a board there instead of bookmarking. Helps to keep me more organized and I avoid losing info if I have a computer crash. So all in all, a lot of my inspiration for reno projects are making their way to a camper reno idea board as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

Thanks for the info! I was having some trouble with that. It looks like a nice collection of recipes, etc.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #8

Default Yum!

Oh, The things you can do with a dutch oven or a roll of foil.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #9

I know! I'm so excited My kiddos are 6 and 2 (will be 3 in the summer) and we have one on the way, so this year with all of the renovations that need to be done, we are planning on just doing some good ol backyard camping with the boys. That way very preggo momma can at least retreat to the house for some comforts of home! We are fortunate enough to have an acre smack dab in the middle of corn crops, so for the boys it will be like we are camping, plus all of the recipes I'm collecting will definitely help them enjoy something other than hotdogs on a stick LOL
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #10

Our kids grew up camping and eating all sorts of things from over a fire. We have worn out several pie irons. The kids are now ages 41, 37, 32, and 27. Plus we have a 13 year old granddaughter. They have all retained the camping spirit. They didn't realize the advantages they had by having camping parents that took them to places all over the country that many other kids never got to see or do. We couldn't have afforded it any other way. Your kids are going to be able to do the same. We went through five Coleman folding trailers during those years, they kept getting bigger. Our first HiLo came along after kid number four left for college. Have a great time with your HiLo.

By the way, I live just out of Franklin, PA.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
sam

Default Spring snow

The jet stream is really low across most of the united states making it cold and really dangerously snowy in some parts. We have the cold and wind. When I go camping I write out a menu and do as much of the cooking at home as possible. That way I have unlimited water usage and am able to use my dishwasher. Things you can use a glad steam bag for or microwave help me have more relax time. Good idea to search for recipes when you are in with this cold,rainy,snowy weather.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahC View Post
Sarah,

It sounds as if you are going to have a nice group of yard monkeys that are going to be real hungry as they get older . When you make those outdoor outings, I would suggest as a nice 'go to meal' that is relatively inexpensive, nutritious, and very tasty; freeze dried meals by companies like Mountain House and Saratoga Farms. They come in #10 tin cans and have a shelf life of about 25-years. They store easily and you can have a scrumptious breakfast or dinner meal of a variety of main courses, vegetables, and desserts. We have a large variety of their offerings stored for 'emergencies'.

Last year we had a 'dried food' outing with our next door neighbor and it was one of the tastiest meals I have ever had. I especially liked the beef stroganoff with noodles and we had a variety of vegetables as side dishes.

I highly recommend these foods as they are prepared for quick and inexpensive meals with all the benefits of a meal that you would have to spend hours to prepare normally. This would give you more time to enjoy your family rather than slaving in the kitchen!

I am not affiliated with any one of these companies and I offer this website with the understanding that it is for the benefit of campers and not my personal benefit; just to give you an idea for planning for your outings.

Freeze Dried Food Storage on Sale - Browse Huge Selection of Freeze Dried Foods

There are many companies that provide these foods and they each sponsor sales several times a year and you can save a lot of money when you buy in bulk. Many folks use these foods for their normal every day meals because the quality is good and the costs are lower than shopping in the grocery store.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
sam

Default Renovation pictures and word descriptions

Sarah C,
Here is the link to my photobucket account with my renovation pictures.
3SamTLPX's Library | Photobucket

sam is offline   Reply With Quote