Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hi-Lo Clubs A list of Hi-Lo camper clubs

Old 08-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #1

Default Dometic fridge stopped working

Hey folks! I have a 2808c with a dometic fridge (model number not available at the moment) and it's been causing problems recently... The last time I used it the lights in the front panel flickered and eventually cut off, and couldn't be turned on with gas or AC power. I thought maybe it was a low battery so I charged and then got it working again. I currently have a guest and the camper is hooked up to shore power and somewhere in the last two days the fridge cut off again. Any ideas on why or how to fix? Tried charging the battery again but doesn't seem to have helped. Wondering if I need to replace. Anyone replace one of these before? Considering a mini fridge in place. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Kovaxination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:40 PM   #2

I have a 2509C and had trouble with the refrigerator not wanting to come on in A/C mode when using the trailer's wiring. Try removing the vent panel behind the refrigerator on the outside of your camper and run a regular extension cord from your house directly to the refrigerator. Worked for me. Battery has nothing to do with the refrigerator unless you're trying to keep the refrigerator cool while traveling.

Hope this helps. Beach

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:33 AM   #3

I have the same camper and had a 23C prior and did replace the refrigerator in that one. Could be the control panel. Never like the small one so when I got the 2808C we had it total restored and I designed to replace it with a regular size one. Now to do this meant a couple things.
1. cut hole in the roof so room for the top to come down over the refrigerator.
2. when doing this the guy who did it had to move wires in the ceiling - that part I did not know about till the guy did it for me.
3. make a covering for the roof. For this I ended up having an aluminum one made = cost 840.00. The picture shows the edge with the ripples in it. Reason being we used this product called Seal Gap after we caulked under the lip of the covering and then caulked the holes where screws go through and then used self level over it and it the Seal Gap caused that effect because it attaches tight and but in the end it is better than the self level stuff for an RV.
4. at first the extension was made with wood covered with aluminum and plexiglass top but that had a lip over the edges and caused problems so that is why I went with the one in pictures with slope on the front part. we also put insulation board inside to protect from sweating.
5. do not know why the 2 pics are sideways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12. 1 roof ref. ext..jpg (111.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 12. 1 roof ref.ext.- camco fan cover.jpg (115.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 12. 1 roof to center right side.jpg (132.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 62. dometic large ref. 1.jpg (136.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 65. 1 over ref..jpg (112.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 65. 2 over ref..jpg (100.2 KB, 5 views)
Lwwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:01 AM   #4

Default Nice modification

Love the pictures of your mod. Will have to show DH this.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi5678 View Post
Love the pictures of your mod. Will have to show DH this.
Be my quest and this camper is 1 of a kind.
some of the other items changes
1. removed the night stand and queen bed and put a 30 x 80 and 50 x 80 the opposite direction.
2. under each is storage and some access both inside lift plywood and outside.
3. under 30 inch is storage from outside for the black stone grill and accessories.
4. mural on each side.
5. yellow neon lights on the awning roll.
6. backflush for both gray and black tanks
AM/FM weather band radio with usb and mic.
7. between the commode and walkway at the sink installed privacy shower curtain.
8. cushion dinning chairs.
9. removable hand railing.
10. new digital AC
and more .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49. 1 bedroom to rear.jpg (144.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 53. storage bed.jpg (206.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 10. 2008 neon lights 3 after restore.jpg (153.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 19. back flush.jpg (145.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 67. radio and ac digital thermostat.jpg (140.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 15. mural right side.jpg (124.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1. 5 2008 front.jpg (161.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 33. outdoor kitchen.jpg (93.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 57. commode - shower open 1.jpg (127.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Team

That's a real one of a kind unit, now Lw! Those look to be great upgrades! Nice work, and thanks for the pictures (and ideas).

- Jack
Old 09-04-2022, 05:06 PM   #7

Default one of a kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
That's a real one of a kind unit, now Lw! Those look to be great upgrades! Nice work, and thanks for the pictures (and ideas).

- Jack
you are welcome and feel free to pass the modifications on or use.
there is other things I did but this was the biggest ones.
I wish they had a hilo reunion somewhere central for us all and I know they have had a few but was low profile . I would live to see some of the older ones. We had a 1999 = 21 T , 2006 23 C and this one 2808 C.

here is the list I had either done or did myself

Regular size stainless steel refrigerator and freezer like in a normal RV with separate thermometer display for each and room also. Extended the roof here with aluminum cover. New AC with digital thermometer that could be tied into the furnace. Removed the night stand over hot water heater and Converted the bed from Queen to a 40 x 80 and a 30 x 80 in the opposite direction of prior position and has flip up to access storage underneath and some also access from out side . Also under the 30 inch one outside has an outdoor kitchen which stores our black stone grill and accessories with shelves. New mattress like would be in a house = very comfortable. Also provisions to insert to make 1 large bed, New AM/FM, USB, Weather band , and aux. hookup and mic. Radio with switches to switch from bedroom speakers (each with shut off switch) and to added outside speakers and volume control for these plus separate volume control for kitchen speakers. TV‘s hook up in bedroom and dinning/living area each from an A B to switch from either cable or antenna. Back flush hookup for gray & black tanks with ID plates. Backup lights. Backup camera = control in our pickup, tire gauge monitors with repeater to send to monitor in truck with light indicator for connection when plugged in, 2 batteries, jumper block to battery if need at front of access for the hand pump. A jumper at same place if need to bypass raise lower switch. Yellow neon lights on the awning roll. Cushion fold up dining chairs. Hand railing to enter RV. Nice mural on both sides. Propane tanks with gauges. Added shower curtain between commode and walk/bath sink. Spigot at front outside for water access. Easy drain spigot @ hot water tank, grease buddies.