Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Events Rallies, trips, shows etc.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
sam

Default Memorial weekend camping

Any one have plans for camping this holiday weekend? My second cousin is getting married Sat. so we are staying home. Plenty of outdoor chores to do in between all the daily rain we have been having..Next week we'll have 80 degree days rainfree for three days. I'm keeping all those folks that have been hit with tornadoes-loss of homes in my prayers. Sam

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #2

Hi Sam,

We'll be camping near Hagerman, ID, on the Snake River. Not my favorite spot, but this trip we'll be with one of our trailer clubs (not a Hi-Lo group), and they need a few more amenities than we usually want. The good side is that they are a great bunch to camp with!

Out here its supposed to be generally rainy over the weekend. But we have the Hi-Lo to retreat to if necessary.

Hagerman is very near Thousand Springs, a vertical basalt cliff hanging over the north shore of the Snake River, that literally gushes water through "a thousand springs" on its face. Lots of snow pack this year means that we'll have very active natural springs.

Hey, the worst day out camping is still better than... well, just better!

All HTF members reading this, Memorial is a National Holiday, and many of us try to pack as much fun into a three day weekend as we can. So I ask you all to please take a few moments this weekend to remember and honor our fallen servicemen and women. Just as important, honor the families they left behind... many of whom are still suffering their loss.

Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #3

Unhappy

had plans this 3 day weekend but the State Park campground got evacutated today until June 6 for flooding of the Missouri River here in Pierre.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
sam

Default Camping holiday weekend

Glad to hear you will be camping. I know you will have a blast. Paul sorry the weather has canceled your plans. Perhaps you can find somewhere else to go. It is called plan B. Years ago my hubby and I went to Florida in Oct. It rained the whole time we were there and we were asked to leave the state park due to a Tornado warning. We took our no frills Apache pop up(1/2 in mattress and one outlet) and went to Williamsburgh,Va. We learned to carry many maps with us after that experience. Showing my age. We now have computer and GPS. Thanks for the reminder about why we have Memorial day. Sam
Old 05-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

Will be camping at my River camp 15 miles from home on the potomac River in WV. Friends, Fun, Food what's not to like.

Harry
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to thermonieum

we'll be in boone nc
98 Jeep Cherokee
01 Explorer Sport Trac
thermonieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Heading to the mountains of Captian, NM, where Smokey Bear was found. Some of the forest in Lincoln and Gila have been closed due to draught conditions but found a great campground. Everybody enjoy and be safe.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

took mine to Little Pine State park for my first outing with it.
did great, no problems or major surprises. everything worked as it should with one execption, the fan in the range hood has no blades.
the motor is running and the stem is spinning but no fan.

my trip was only an hour drive and it towed like it wasn't even back there.

the weather thursday night was terrible! a severe T storm ripped through the campground, ripped off about 3 awnings, pushed a couple campers about 6 inches, ripped several trees off their stumps and some were toppled.
one camper had just arrived and wasn't even unhooked yet, when a tree top broke off and crashed down on his brand new camper!
but that was nothing compared to what that storm did about 10miles further up the road. hundreds of trees were toppled and ripped apart on both sides of the creek. many cabins were damaged, but no one was hurt. they still don't have power up there.
the hi-lo did fine in all that rainy weather. it rained off and on all 3 days i was there and i stayed nice and dry inside. did not get to sit around the fire at all. weather was too wet.
looking forward to my next trip in june. nicer bigger Federal campground at Ives Run in Tioga county.
won't be going back to where i was today at a state park. found out there is a 2 dog limit per site and i am over that. it was not in their pet policy anywhere so i booked 3 reservations.
i stayed there last year with no problems. but this year, oh well, they all of a sudden remembered the 2 dog limit so i will cancel my other 3 reservations.
i'll try to post a pic....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (98.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (98.5 KB, 30 views)
Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
sam

Default 1st trip out with the HiLo

Sorry to hear your 1st. trip out had such violent weather. Here in western NY we have had double the amt. of rain we normaly get in May. When the weather is violent It is a must that you roll up your awning as they are very expensive to replace. We have a member of our HiLove NY HiLO club that goes to Ives Run each year. Yesterday ,I attended my cousins wedding. It was so fancy that I know her parent spent $10,000 or maybe a little more to get their daughter married off. One time it was raining on a campout and I used my huge umbrella and sat at the campfire with one other person. Diehard campfire enthusiast. I,m glad you were high and dry in your Hi Lo. Preventive TlC pays big dividends. How did your Br floor repair work out? Three weeks ago we had a very violent storm with 80 mile winds. It was in several counties and pulled many huge trees right out of the ground and heaved up massive amts.of side walks. It smashed cars and tore up fences and blew out some windows. I was able to get some fire wood from the storm. My sister had a huge tree come crashing in the front of her house. No one was hurt. Many people lost shingles off of their roofs. Some one loaned her a good sized generator that they had to use for three wks. She spent $500.00 on gasoline to run the generator. She is hoping that the Homeowners ins. will reimburse her for the gas $. We lost power for two hrs. I pulled out some of my camping gear for survival mode then the power came back on. Hopefully the next time you camp the weather will be much better.!!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

We had to beautiful days, Sat and Sunday here in eastern PA. rained early this morning but sun is coming out now. We stayed home this week end, the daughter was having a baby shower for the grand daughter. Also the son came in from OH with his family. His next to the oldest is graduating from high school, they are having a graduation party for her next week in Oh. but we can't attend so my wife had a cake for her too. So we had a 2 grand daughter party. I naturally ate to much, and it was hot and humid which made me not feel to good, so I wound up in the house laying on the couch in the air conditioning. Any way a great time was had by all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (87.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 008.jpg (86.6 KB, 11 views)
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
sam

Default Memorial day camping

Passed by our State campsite and the KOA seemed not as full on the holiday weekend. I think the gas prices are affecting many. Higher prices on many things and no payraise where you work. How come it is always sweltering when you have to break camp and go home.? Spent the day gioving our truck a deluxe detail/bath treatment. Then we helped our parasplegic friend open up his inground pool. Have to help him a little bit more tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #12

Default Memorial Day Camping

Sycamore Springs Park in English, IN. Unique place and free! Look it up, has a website. Favorite place to camp. Very lucky to have a place like this within 30 minutes from home. Twin children always have a blast. Most family oriented campground we have been to.

While setting up HI-LO, two other campers came over with questions and positive feedback about camper. Then had a 15 minute conversation with person camping beside us with popup, including weight, how it tows, layout, how it sets up, features, etc on Sunday night. May have sold someone on HI-LO.

Had plans to go swimming at Patoka Lake Beach on Sunday, but the beach was closed due to record rains we had in Southern Indiana this year. One of our friends had reservations at Nolin Lake in Kentucky, but could not go due to campsite was under water.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
sam

Default Memorial weekend camping

Here in Niagara Falls,NY it just won't stop raining for any length of time. We are struggling to get the garden soil dry enough to plant a garden. For those of you headed to the HiLo national rally. May you have safe travels and a fab time. Give us a report and pictures when you get back. Any one who goes camping tell us about your adventures and post pictures. Sam