Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Lost power on my tilt out.

I have a 2003 24' that has the tilt out. There are 2 lights in the tilt out that aren't getting any voltage. Does anyone know how and where the wires go from the tilt out unit back to the main part of the camper? I hve no other elctrical problems in the camper. Thanks

lancruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
I have a 2003 24' that has the tilt out. There are 2 lights in the tilt out that aren't getting any voltage. Does anyone know how and where the wires go from the tilt out unit back to the main part of the camper? I hve no other elctrical problems in the camper. Thanks
lancruza,

I am assuming you have eliminated that the bulbs are not burned out; have you checked in the socket to see if voltage is present in the very bottom [center] of the socket? Have you checked all the fuses to see if it is merely a blown fuse?

I have never checked how the lamp wiring enters the tilt-out but common sense tells me it has to be at the bottom and since we no longer have our HiLo, I don't have one to go look and see for myself. I would check on the outside bottom of the tilt-out near the fulcrum to see if there is wiring anywhere that goes up inside the tilt-out. I would think that there would be a loop somewhere there as it would be difficult to hardwire directly from the main body of the trailer.

If you find wiring there, check it to see if there is some insulation missing that may have shorted out to ground somewhere.

I would more likely think that you have a blown 12-volt fuse on your power unit.

Hope this helps.

jcurtis95

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Yes, I checked both light fixtures with a volt meter, nothing. I agree about the location. The wires are probably somewhere near the pivot point of the tilt out. I'm not sure what you mean by, "blown 12-volt fuse on your power unit." I am having no other power issues any where in the camper. I checked the main breaker box to be sure and everything is fine. Are there fuses somewhere in the camper that I don't know about? The only power in the tilt out is for 2 wall mounted lamps, that's it. I thought maybe someone in the forum might have had a similar problem at some point in time and they could point me to where these wires tie in.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #4

Mine has fuses for the 12 volt systems right next to the AC circuit breakers. Take a look at part-2 of the 2009 owners manual in the reference section of this forum. There is a page with a photo. Yours should have 12 volt fuses in a similar location. One of the fuses may be dedicated to the tip out lights.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

, "blown 12-volt fuse on your power unit."

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I was referring to your main breaker box. Since there are no blown fuses and there is no voltage at the lamp socket, you evidently have an open wire between the breaker box and your lamp. If the color of the wire at the fuse at the breaker box can be determined, I would recommend you check outside for any wiring that goes up into the tilt-out and find the same color wire as that leaving the breaker box. IF you can find it and your volt-meter is equipped with a probe with 'needle probes', check the wire for voltage. If voltage is present, then the hot wire is open between where you checked it and the light fixture.

You might take each light fixture off; one will have only one set of wires and the other will have a feed and another wire[s] leaving that goes to the 2nd light fixture. This would be a likely spot for an open.

One other test you should make is to insure that the fuse for the light fixture has voltage on both sides. There will be a very tiny test point on the fuse, one side is the feed, the other is going to the lamp; just make sure that fuse has voltage on each of the check points. Sometimes a fuse may blow and you will be unable to see that it has blown.

I wish you good luck.

jcurtis95
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
sam

Default Tipout electricalproblem

A member of our HiLo club said The wire for the tipout is located near the battery box on the A frame.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Thanks jcurtis95, Norton Rider, and sam for the info. I went back to my fuse block and pulled each fuse and checked for continuity. One of the fuses was blown. I had only done a visual inspection at first and didn't find it. I replaced the fuse and all is well. I just wonder what caused it to blow in the first place. I may have a frayed wire somewhere. Thank goodness for fuses. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
I just wonder what caused it to blow in the first place. I may have a frayed wire somewhere.
Fuses don't always fail because of a short. Sometimes they succumb to vibration, poor manufacturing quality, etc. If you replaced the fuse with one of the same capacity, and it doesn't blow again, it should be fine.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote