Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #1

Smile HELP - 2007 - Hi-Lo Towlite 22T Towing Advice

After a lot of search I have finally found a 2007 - Hi-Lo Towlite 22T trailer with a dry weight of 3332 Lbs. I currently have a 2012 AWD Buick Enclave with a towing package that has a maximum trailer weight of 4500 lbs.

Can someone please tell me if my Buick Enclave will be able to pull the 22T Hi-Lo. I intend to travel really light with empty water tank and not loading the trailer more than 400 lbs.

Also, I am worried about repairs etc. Are spare parts readily available?

Will appreciate any advice

YYC2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
Site Team

At that dry weight, you would have a tongue weight of around 450#. If you added more weight to the trailer, the tongue weight would be increased. Additionally, you will need a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) to move that tongue weight off your car's rear axle and spread it over both axles. The WDH itself will add another 70# or so to the load you're putting on your car's axles. You need to find out what your car's axle limits are (weigh it on a CAT scale or equivalent with it loaded with anything and anybody you would be taking camping). Then, see if your axles can take the additional 520 +pounds you would be adding with the trailer. I suspect you'll find your axles would be overloaded.

Yes, your car can "pull" the trailer weight, but the real limit is the car's suspension, axles and wheels.

- Jack

Old 08-31-2020, 12:00 AM   #3

Thanks Jack. I checked the tire and loading sticker on the Buick and it says:

"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 619 kgs or 1366 lbs."

And the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is mentioned as: 9000 lbs. (Total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions)

So I added up this way:

1. Weight of trailer (Dry): 3332 lbs (Found in some places it says 3580 lbs)
2. Passengers and cargo in Buick: 700 lbs (Approx.)
3. Weight of trailer tongue: 490 lbs
4. WDH:70lbs

Add (1 to 4): 4592 lbs which is lower than the GCWR (9000 lbs)
Add (2 to 4): 1260 lbs. which is pretty close to the limit of 1366 lbs combined weight of occupants and cargo of Buick)

Looks like the 22T will be pretty close to the limit of the Buick.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Team

The number that is critical is the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR), which should also be on that sticker. The other figure of importance is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), which should be very close to the sum of the two GAWR values. The GCWR is just a number that the vehicle manufacturer thinks is acceptable to keep from damaging the engine and transmission of your car. I'm not too worried about the GCWR, your car WILL pull the trailer - it may struggle a bit going uphill, but it will probably do it.

I think, though, if you're close to the GCWR, you're OVER the GVWR and the GAWR. Both those numbers should be on the sticker you looked at and you will need to weigh your car to find out what your current vehicle weight is and what weight is being supported by both axles. I think you'll find your car is heavier than you might have thought, giving you very little margin if you add the loads produced by a trailer tongue. I seriously doubt you will be able to add 1366# to your car's actual weight and still be within the GVWR. Vehicle manufacturers commonly overstate the allowable cargo weights.

I'm not trying to be a "Debbie Downer" - I'm just trying to keep you and your family safe.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #5

Hello, I would not recommend towing with your vehicle. I stripped my 04 22T down to bare bones and it was still over 4k lbs. I get nervous towing with my frontier rated at 6500 pounds.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC2020 View Post
Thanks Jack. I checked the tire and loading sticker on the Buick and it says:

"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 619 kgs or 1366 lbs."

And the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is mentioned as: 9000 lbs. (Total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions)

So I added up this way:

1. Weight of trailer (Dry): 3332 lbs (Found in some places it says 3580 lbs)
2. Passengers and cargo in Buick: 700 lbs (Approx.)
3. Weight of trailer tongue: 490 lbs
4. WDH:70lbs

Add (1 to 4): 4592 lbs which is lower than the GCWR (9000 lbs)
Add (2 to 4): 1260 lbs. which is pretty close to the limit of 1366 lbs combined weight of occupants and cargo of Buick)

Looks like the 22T will be pretty close to the limit of the Buick.
Here's a useful tool.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #7

Thank you all for your quick responses. Appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #8

I have a 2001 22'. With the ad-ons- which includes AC and Awning and some extra cabinets inside- my tongue weight is closer to 700-800 ibs. I gave up on the stickers long ago. Also- just ask jack- tongue weight is highly dependent on where the axles are located on the trailer and mine are pretty far back. You really need to go to a scale and weigh the tow vehicle empty and then hitch the trailer and just pull on the scales again with only the truck on. The difference will be your tongue weight.
rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #9

As a former truck driver ... Rick has the right idea on figuring out the tongue weight.
chris gilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:31 PM   #10

Can't speak specifically to your 22T, but it's worth bearing in mind that manufacturer's published weights for many (if not most) trailers tend to be somewhat optimistically low.

Second the recommendation to take your Enclave and 22T to a truck scale and get accurate weights so you know exactly what you're dealing with.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:49 AM   #11

FYI about weighing vehicles and trailers. I use CAT scales, many nation wide locations, look online. If you download their new app, it’s much easier to do the whole process without getting out of your vehicle. I’m looking forward to trying it.
Tom

Trblandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007, 2007 22t, 22t, towing capacity