Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 01-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #1

Default Hello from Oklahoma!

My husband and I purchased our first HiLo last week. We have owned three other trailers, but have always liked the HiLo trailers. Ours is a 1994 22' Funchaser (Classic line).

We are both teachers, and have to work during the summer. It gets miserably hot in the summer here, so this year we are going to go north, and live in our HiLo while loving the cool summer. We have enough never camped longer than a week before, so any long-term living advise is welcome.

I am happy to have a trailer that I will be more comfortable towing.

Awat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Our first HiLo was a 22' 1995 Funchaser 22D. As for as longer term living quarters, my advice is to not get mad at each other. There is not enough room in it to run and hide. Enjoy your new camper and happy camping!

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi and welcome from me too!

I suggest you take the camper on a couple weekend trips (even more if possible) close by (and try to duplicate the conditions you'll be "living in" when you do it) BEFORE you set out on your prolonged trip. You need to get used to your trailer and learn its "quirks".

You have an advantage in having camped before in trailers, but HiLos are somewhat different.

- Jack
Old 01-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awat72 View Post
My husband and I purchased our first HiLo last week. We have owned three other trailers, but have always liked the HiLo trailers. Ours is a 1994 22' Funchaser (Classic line).

We are both teachers, and have to work during the summer. It gets miserably hot in the summer here, so this year we are going to go north, and live in our HiLo while loving the cool summer. We have enough never camped longer than a week before, so any long-term living advise is welcome.

I am happy to have a trailer that I will be more comfortable towing.
We spent six weeks on the road in B. C., Yukon Territory, Alberta and Alaska in a 1999 21 ft Towlite and from my standpoint the biggest issues were electrical. Make sure you have a good battery for both your T V and the trailer and spare fuses. Know where all of the fuses are located. Our 21 ft Towlite had an inline fuse behind the hydraulic pump which you could not easily get to when the trailer top was down. There is not a lot of room or storage in a 22 ft trailer so be prepared to store stuff in your T V that is easily accessible. Despite our electrical issues, we had a great time!
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #5
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

My advice would be to watch the operational videos posted on this site. You have been given some good sugestions already. You made me chuckle when you said it gets hot in the summer. We were 90 to 100 degrees all summer. I think most of the country was experiencing global warming. I keep saying we need to bottle some of the heat and release it in the winter!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #6

Thanks! I think we may be working enough that time together will be special...I hope.
Awat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
sam

Default New HiLo owner

Both my parents were teachers. So I know all about precious vacation time. I used to go with my MOM in August to set up her classroom and put up buletion boards.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote