Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #1

Default New To It All

My husband and I were gifted a 1983 FunLite 16S (I do believe) that needs a bit of work, but I'm really looking forward to revamping it and making it Ours. We live in Northeastern Kansas, so we have a lot of season changes, with some pretty extreme heat and cold. We also want to take this camper to the hay field as a retreat for when we get really hot, need a break, or need a bathroom. The fact that it has an air conditioning unit makes this little camper a great little cabin.

For the last 3 years it's been a kind of clubhouse for my son to play in, as finances were tight, so we couldn't go anywhere, much less repair things. Shane (husband), Stephen (son), and I love to camp, especially with my two equines - one large pony (Fancy), one mule (Opal) - and participate in quite a few 'benefit' events every year for various organizations, most of which are in the Spring and Fall, when it's still quite chilly out. We really hope that getting this camper up and running will aid in more expeditions, further from home.

Shane and I are still fairly young (mid and late 30's), but youth was pretty rough on our bodies, so camping on the ground, even on an air mattress, isn't really an option for us anymore. Finances prevent us from getting a horse trailer with living quarters built in, at least for the time being, and sometimes we just want to go to the lake without the horses.

I will post pics as the transfomation progresses, and start a new thread for the whole process. I need to get as much information on the camper as I possibly can first, and then bit by bit repair, update/modify, and fix stuff.

First thing's first, today we put new tires and a new tag on it as September is right around the corner and 3 out of 4 weekends are spoken for doing various equine rides. Next will be a thorough cleaning and testing the electrical system. The water system isn't a make or break deal for us right now, so we can tough that out, but we definitely need some brake lights and turn signals. Eventually, my hope is to have it updated to current safety and comfort standards (working water, toilet, shower, electrical system, a lot of eye appeal, both inside and out). This year's goal: Tags, Tires, and Odor - if I have 4 walls and am up off the ground, I'm happy.

If you have any advice for me, I will gladly listen. This ol' girl needs a name, so send me some ideas.

Christina P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #2

Welcome. Name? How about "Funny Girl"?

Tennessee/Greenest state in the land of the free
moonstruckblog.wordpress.com
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum!

How about "Lucky", because it is lucky to have you to fix it up and going again.

There is lots of help and information here on the Forum to use to get your Funlite back in shape.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

Christina, welcome to you and your family (and ponies) from California! You have many years of happy camping ahead!

Take your time on the name as it will present itself when ready (kind of an "Aha" moment). It took us a year to finally come up with one. A friend suggested "HiLola" for us and the name has stuck.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

Welcome aboard. As issues arise- use the "search" function for old posts to see what you can find and then ask. Somebody will always get back to you within a day or so......most likely.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

Have fun getting your HiLo back in shape. We love pictures!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Thanks, y'all. I got some pics today, so I'll post a thread on her progress. It will be slow but it will get done.

In the pics the tongue is on the ground. It's rained here a lot and the moles dug under the boards causing it to fall. We got it picked up and reset.

Christina P is offline   Reply With Quote