Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Default New Member seeking 17' or 15' Hi-Lo

Greetings! My name is Bettie and I am avidly seeking a 15' or 17' Hi-Lo. Hi-Lo appears to be the only solution to parking a camper in a garage with an 8' high garage door. If anyone has ideas I would be eternally grateful.

More about me: I'm 60 and recently retired from a stressful 34-year career managing large regulatory law firms in Washington, DC. I have returned to my roots in Baton Rouge, LA but want to get out and travel. Neighborhood restrictions prevent parking a camper where it is visible from the street, which means it must go in my garage in my case.

I would appreciate it if someone could answer this question: When the brochure says it is 17' in length, does that include or exclude the trailer tongue and/or spare tire mount on the back? My garage is 20' deep.

I sure wish I had discovered Hi-Lo Campers when they were still in production, but I did not have time to travel back then.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and Merry Christmas!
Bettie

Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

The length of a HiLo is from the trailer hitch ball to the rear bumper. HiLo did produce some of the shorter trailers with a hitch that folded out of the way making it even shorter for garage storage. Look for one of these.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
The length of a HiLo is from the trailer hitch ball to the rear bumper. HiLo did produce some of the shorter trailers with a hitch that folded out of the way making it even shorter for garage storage. Look for one of these.
Just a comment on Jim's post, when I bought my 17' HiLo, I could not get the folding hitch option because it was not compatible with the Weight Distributing Hitch I was also getting. I don't know if the folding hitch interferes with all WDH's, but it's something to check on.

And, the spare tire adds at most 1.5' to the length of the trailer. I think a 17' trailer with a rigid hitch and spare tire should fit in your garage.

- Jack
Old 12-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

Greetings from Niagara Falls,NY. The folks on the forum and very good at helping and answering questions. Congrats on your retirement. Just curious as to what your tow vehicle will be.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 AM   #5

Thank you for this information! I appreciate you all (or y'all as we say down here!) taking the time to respond. I'm on the hunt for a 17' or the 2010 18' camper!

Bettie
Old 12-12-2015, 03:49 AM   #6

Thank you for this info! I suspected the spare would add a bit, but this should be fine.

Bettie