Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Trading Post > Factory Hi-Lo Parts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Factory Hi-Lo Parts If your looking for original factory parts here's where to get them

Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Default Face lift

We are giving our 1983 a face lift. New paint job and new decals. We want to put the Hi Lo sticker back on, but don't know where to find one. Can anyone help?

Rusted Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
sam

Default New decals

Do an internet search for decals. I've read on another forum that you are to take a picture. A body shop can use the picture to create a new one.

sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

Are you doing the paint yourself? I'd love to see the process as i'll be going though the same.

As for recreating the decals, any local sign shop that does vehicle lettering should be able to do this for you. If you take a good high-res image of the original decal that is straight on they should also be able to digitize the logo.

If you have a hard time finding a sign shop that can do this for you, you could buy the vinyl raw material and very carefully cut it out using a craft knife.

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/sekellus
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default hi-lo side decals

I just purchased some from j&r repair. the only difference is the long stripes are one color off, but if i didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't notice
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

p.s. rob at j&r also has a graphics company and can also personalize anything you would also want for graphics such as name of your camper, owners names, a big smiley face, etc. just some ideas
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #6

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the information. We did find a place by us that will make the decals. We also decided to go for a different graphic. Hope it looks good.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Is your trailer aluminum or fiberglass? I've been working on the inside of mine but looking down the road I'll probably need to repaint the aluminum. I'm not really sure how to do prep work on thin aluminum without destroying it!

ArkTinkerer
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #8

Default Paint prep on aluminum.

Let me start off saying I am not an expert on painting. We do have an aluminum skinned trailer and it is a little finicky for body prep. If the surface we were painting was decent we just scuffed it up with 220 grit sand paper. We did have some small defects and holes in one part of the camper. With those we scuffed the area with 80 grit sand paper and layed a small skim of plastic bondo over it. You can run into troubles with the defects coming back through if you sand too much. So my advice would be let good enough be, it doesn't have to be perfectly straight anything is better than a hole. Also when we finished we bought graphics to go through the repaired area to break up the area and take your eye away from it. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #9

Would you sand the old textured aluminum? I would think wire brush instead?

I may be going at this wrong. Maybe just paint the top and use some sort of polish on the sides to polish off the faded brown? Again, buffing the polish out of the texture will make this job much harder than it would be otherwise....

ArkTinkerer
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

I have been a aircraft mechanic for years and have stripped quite a few light aircraft for painting. If you are going to strip the old paint off use a liquid stripper never sand it. Never use a steel or brass brush or steel wool on aluminum. Micro particles of the steel can break off and get embedded in the aluminum and set up dissembler metal corrosion and you will have a hole in time. Never mark aluminum with a lead pencil and leave the mark as the same can happen. We would strip the aluminum then wash the stripper and old paint off then wipe the entire skin down with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK). If a area needed extra scrubbing we did that with a non metallic scotch brite type pad with the stripper or MEK. The skin is then ready to paint.If you are going to paint over the old paint, which I think most would, remove all old silicone type sealants then wipe down the entire area to be painted with MEK to remove old wax. The MEK works much better than paint thinner. Buff the old paint lightly with aluminum sand paper or silica paper so the new paint sticks better. Some of the best paints I have used is Dupont Imron and Alumigrip. Many auto paint stores carry these. They are not cheap but most of the expense and time go into preparing the surface so use the best paint if you can afford it, and you plan to keep the HI-LO for years. If you decide to do this yourself follow the paint manufactures recommendation for prep as there are many different paint systems available. I never did the painting myself as we wanted the A/C to look great, not like a jackleg did it. I have painted my kids cars before but they paid me nothing so couldn't complain. Hope some of this helps.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #11

Smile painting a hilo

Could anyone tell me about painting a holo? Just bought an older one that needs a facelift.
tdrinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

You need paint. Did you read this thread? The information is there, or ask a more specific question.

Welcome to the forum, I am sure that someone can help you, what is the siding, aluminum of fiber glass?
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
sam

Default Painting aluminum

Thanks for sharing your expertise. My HiLo is fiberglass. It is on my list of things to do. That is to go to my usual bodyshop and ask him how you would prep and paint fiberglass. Need to get an estimate for our yearly visit for our 97f250. sam
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #14

Hi Sam
You will get better advice on refinishing fiberglass from a boating repair shop. Most auto repair shops don't get to do much fiberglass work.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
sam

Default Fiberglass repair

Thanks for the sugestion. We have lots of lakes bodies of water around where I live. I will be able to take some pictures to show them. I'm sure if I look in the phone book their should be several places that I can call or stop in.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
sam

Default Fiberglass repair

sp suggestion. Fishing and boating are huge where I live. I'm sure I will have no trouble getting the fiberglass care ,repair,painting advice that I need.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #17

Default Face Lift- Before and After

Here it is! This is our 1983 with a new paint job and new graphics. It is amazing how much paint can change a trailer!100_4279.jpg

100_4280.jpg

100_6502.jpg

100_6505.jpg

100_6496.jpg
Old 06-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Nice job, looks very good. Hope you have some great camping trips in it.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
sam

Default Face lift HiLo

Great looking paint job and decals!!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #20

Very nice job!! We removed the decals because they were faded and peeling and now have a mostly white trailer.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote