Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Factory Hi-Lo Parts If your looking for original factory parts here's where to get them

Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Roof rack for kayaks on Hi Lo

We would like to carry our Kayaks on our 19' 2008 Hi Lo.
The 2 kayaks weigh about 80 lbs.
Has anyone done this?
Most important, is the lift system capable of handeling the extra weight to raise and lower the trailer without damaging the system?
Appreciate any comments on this.
Thanks

basturm5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

People have done it. Search the archives. My question is why not carry them on your vehicle as I assume you have a rack for them (?). My issue with carrying them on the trailer is what you metioned-raising and lowering it. I would prefer to take the kayaks, bikes, whatever.....off before I raise it. It can probably raise the weight but it will be adding extra strain for sure and I wouldn't push it. Pus-the wind resistance on the boats is going to pulling up on your hi-lo as you go down the road. How will you tie them down? Will you need to drill holes to attach brakets for tie downs or will you run ropes to the frame? If you do that-remember to UNTIE before you raise.

I understand it is easier to lift kayaks onto the trailer than it is to lift on top of your Tow vehicle----but I like the ready-made-already-figured-out rack-sytems they make for trucks and autos. I'm taking a canoe with me next week and its going to go on the rack I assembled for my truck which will make it easier for me to transport to and back from the water.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

basturm5000,
I heard once of a owner carrying them on top of a Hi Lo. He inflated tubes and placed them on top of the tubes. He claimed it worked.
Yesterday I was in Bass Pro Shop and saw they sell an inflatable device that was about 6 inches round and 4 feet long. They were for carrying a canoe on top of a car. They might work. Should be able to find them on the Bass Pro web site.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaks, lift system, roof rack