Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Factory Hi-Lo Parts If your looking for original factory parts here's where to get them

Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Default Where to get Hi-Lo parts

I was a little confused when I tried to obtain the neoprene bulb seal for my 2002, 24' Tow Lite Hi-Lo. This forum was very helpful in that regard but there is soooo much information here I can almost never get back to the same thread twice and I still purchased my seal from someone other than who I thought I was buying it from. Let me explain. I understand when the Hi-Lo factory closed down, there were two components of employees who stayed involved in trying to provide parts and services for Hi-Lo owners and they formed into two different competing companies. Management formed "Midget RV & HiLo services and parts" Home - Midget RV & HiLo Service & Parts and the actual factory workers who did the RV building in the Hi-Lo factory (and seem to know what they are doing) formed "J&R Trailer Repairs" specializing in Hi-Lo. Home - JR REPAIR Rob at J&R can be reached by email at JRRepair@Centurylink.net or by phone at: Phone 1 : 419-883-3001, Phone 2 : 740-392-1600, FaxLine : 740-392-1333. Unfortunately for J&R they moved locations last year and were out of touch while they were setting up a new shop in another building. Additionally, their web site is still under construction and if you go into it, there is not much there to look at (although they actually have many parts available). Well, I have this major rebuild about to begin and I wanted to get some parts and information before I jumped into the fire. I have contacted Midget RV & HiLo services and parts three times now by email trying to get information about my project and Hi-Lo and they have never responded. I did end up buying my bulb seal from them because their web site is up and running and their price was not much higher than others I found and figured they would have the correct part. Thinking I had actually bought the seal from J&R at their new location, and recently finding J&R's phone number on this forum, I called J&R to ask a question by phone because I plan to begin the work tomorrow. J&R returned the call and said I did not buy my bulb seal from them, but they were willing to answer my questions anyway. Rob was very informative and helpful and his price on the bulb seal was actually significantly less than what I paid. If you send Rob an email at JRRepair@Centurylink.net he will add your name to the announcement when their web site is completely operational. Until then Just give them a call, email or fax to ask questions, or request quotes on parts. I found them to be very helpful with good pricing.

Beach Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

Thanks for the info. J&R (Jim and Rob) used to do all the warranty repair work for HiLo and were located in the original HiLo factory building until their lease ran out. Rob is a new partner who replaced Greg after his death. Both Jim and Rob probably know where every bolt and nut is on a HiLo. Sometimes they are hard to get a hold of but keep trying, they are busy fellows.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
sam

Default PBulb installation clarification

Beach Papa, I had to catch DH with clarification as to what type of metal is used in replacing the P Bulb seal between the top and bottom of the HiLo. DH used a thin sheet metal flashing. In hindsight he wishes he had used siding trim. It is white on one side and thicker. Cut the old seal away with an exacto knife. Pry out the old metal. Then position the new seal and staple the new metal. You can just copy what the old install looks like. Best of luck with your repairs. We have a small section to repair as the thin metal curled up and fell out as the HiLo was raised up. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Your wife will need to assist you with this repair as the pieces are long and it goes much better with a helper.Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner as I'm not 100% with my chemotherapy treatment.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnman View Post
Not sure where this should go - Exterior? Lift System?
Anyway, wanted to see if any of you have tried alternatives to the bulb seal concept. Seems to me the bulb seal, while cheap and simple, has a few deficiencies. It does not seal the camper when lowered. The raised height has to be correct all around. If your trailer sags anywhere, seal is not complete.

I recently began looking online at inflatable seals. Many designs are available. Advantages would be sealing capability in either up or down position and no adjustment required. Negatives would be cost and complexity plus potential damage if raise/lower with seal pressurized.

Comments?
Hi Shagnman,

I read on this forum somewhere that the bulb seals were replaced with a different type sometime around 2007 or 2008. My model year is a 2007 but I have the older gray bulb seal on my trailer so can't speak to any improvement that the new seals may have provided. Perhaps someone that has the newer seals can chime in.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #5

I just had some work done at Midget's and they replaced the bulb seal on the forward section of my hi-lo. The way it was explained to me, the older type seal is much less pliable than the new type. This makes it difficult sometimes for a trailer that has been "over adjusted" (like mine) which pulls the seal up over the seal rail and won't 'give enough' to allow the top half to lower. Not sure if there is any problems otherwise. I would think it should still seal properly if everything is adjusted right.

As for sag...I think it is something we live with over time. In mine, the door and tip out are large sections of wall that do not have adequate reinforcement. the bulb seal does sag in these areas...not sure how to fix this. I think someone over adjusted the top half in mine, which stressed the guide rails and caused all sorts of issues. Now it is back within factory specs.
2011 F150 Lariat w/tow package
specter1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
j&r trailer repair, parts, repair