Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #41
sam

Default New HiLo

Please post interior and exterior pictures when you get a chance. What do you have to do to the exterior? We are here to answer any questions you may have and to give helpful advice.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #42

Hi,

I've got a lot of cleaning to do, some caulking and a sag in the roof around the ac unit. The sag was a concern but I bought it cheap enough, I've got a warm place to work and a great resource on this forum.

Jim

miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #43
sam

Default Detailing HiLo.

You'll be fine with a warm place to work. It will keep you busy all winter in your spare time. A good caulk to use is Lexell caulk. It is clear and can be applied down to 40 degrees. You can get this at ACE hardware or online. It is around eight dollars a tube,worth every panny. Also sikaflexA has been mentioned on HTF. No experience with this. I saw this at HD with the roofing mortar in tubes. Seems to me I remember other towlite owners having to reinforce their roofs at the AC unit. Should be some back posts on this. Bottom line catch problems early ,be handy and you will be okay.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #44

Thanks Sam,

I spent yesterday getting the title transferred, paying the sales tax and replacing the battery. It was drizzly and rainy and I have not moved it inside yet so I washed some of the exterior and a once over cleaning the roof. That might sound crazy but the surface doesn't dry so no rush to rinse. Found the dc fuse panel which was not where the owners manual located it. Another rainy day to day so more exploration and research.

I'm retired,working some but have time, maybe too much time?!

I have a wd hitch on order so next week I'll set that up

Jim
Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Hi,

I've got a lot of cleaning to do, some caulking and a sag in the roof around the ac unit. The sag was a concern but I bought it cheap enough, I've got a warm place to work and a great resource on this forum.

Jim
I also had a sag in the roof at the ac unit of my older 97 towlite, easy fix.
I set ladders on each side of trailer with boards going across the top for a working surface. That ac unit is heavy, when I took the ac off the trailer I moved it onto the boards.
The feet of the ac unit don't line up with the roof joist of the trailer, so you have a sag.
I used 3/8 marine plywood, cut into 6 to 10 inch strips to span the roof joist and fill in around all sides of the 14x14 hole. It's important to round over the edges of the plywood with a 1/4" radius bit so the plywood doesn't wear a hole in the alumium roofing. I installed from the roof side, I slipped it under the alumium roofing and this also gave me the crown back into the roof line. Install a new ac unit gasket.
Congrats on your new trailer!
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #46
sam

Default Detailing your HiLo

Mineceptor86, Makes sense to me the way you washed your RV. Wash and dry as you go. No rush. I would recommend you wax your trailer. I use Gell Gloss from my RV store. Some like aerospace protectent 303. Gell Gloss can also be purchased at HD. My dh is also semiretired and spends his free time working on our HiLo or doing volunteer maintenance at our church. You will never have too much free time. Thanks campthe westcoast for the very detailed description of how you beefed up your AC support on your towlite.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #47

Hi,
Yesterday: I washed the roof for the second time so enough of that even though I didn't get rid of the spots. I set up the brakes, no problems there, bearings snug, no wobble and the adjusters were free and from what I could see through adjuster hole not much corrosion. The hydraulic return line was dangling underneath so I fastened it to the cross members in a couple of places.

Question of the day. Did the tip out come in a manual type? If not where do I find the magic button? The owners manual is of little help.

Movie I'm watching as I write this: Beach Blanket Bingo, Annette got her hair wet and a few frames in a wet clingy jumpsuit was about as provocative as Disney would allow. No bikini and gyrations for the wholesome mouseketeer.

Have a good day,

Jim
Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #48

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Hi,
Yesterday: I washed the roof for the second time so enough of that even though I didn't get rid of the spots. I set up the brakes, no problems there, bearings snug, no wobble and the adjusters were free and from what I could see through adjuster hole not much corrosion. The hydraulic return line was dangling underneath so I fastened it to the cross members in a couple of places.

Question of the day. Did the tip out come in a manual type? If not where do I find the magic button? The owners manual is of little help.

Movie I'm watching as I write this: Beach Blanket Bingo, Annette got her hair wet and a few frames in a wet clingy jumpsuit was about as provocative as Disney would allow. No bikini and gyrations for the wholesome mouseketeer.

Have a good day,

Jim
My tip out switch is high on the side of the cabinet at the entryway.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #49

I don't find the tip out switch. Did they make a manual model?

Jim
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #50
sam

Default Tipout question?

My HiLo is too old to have a tipout (1990). I would highly suggest that you prime and coat your roof with the appropriate material. Better to spend $100.00 now than Thousands later for a new roof. Kind of like wax on a floor. The aluminum roofs tend to develop pin holes and start to leak. By the time you realize you have a problem it can lead to major wall dammage. In hind sight I wish we had been advised to coat our roof a lot sooner. Many back posts on this subject.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #51

We've got a rubber roof and when I get the sag around the ac fixed I'll evaluate recoating. The rubber seems flexible, was a little chalky but the two washes cleaned that up.

Jim
Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #52
sam

Default Recoating your roof.

Trust me on this one,recoat your roof. I know it is a lot to do/digest when you first get a used HiLo. By coating your roof it will help with the chaulkyness. Put blue tape at the side where you want to stop coating. This will give you a crisp coat job.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #53

Default Update

Hi,

To bring things up to date:

I have most of the exterior waxed, only the top part I couldn't reach from the ground. I will finish that in the lowered position, did my dads class A from a step ladder, don't need to do that again. I found a random orbit sander worked best on this job as opposed to the 10" buffer I used on the motor home. Raining right now so it's a good excuse to do something else.

I adjusted the lift cables yesterday and found an easily overlooked maintenance item. Keeping the adjusting nuts and threaded cable ends lubed. I had a heck of a time getting the nuts freed up. Had to use a mini butane torch to heat one of the nuts. Even so I couldn't come closer than 1/2" variance because one nut got very tight and I didn't want to keep cranking on it for fear of snapping the cable end.

Found the wires for the missing tip out wench. We're does the wench reside for those with a powered tip out?

I ordered a Reese straight line hitch from eTrailer, great customer service. They kept me up to date every step of the process with emails that were signed off with a persons name. Thanks, Kathy, George and Khaled. Nice hitch, the anti sway function has been integrated into the bars so no more cams and associated rods and their separate mounting points on the A frame.

I started to assemble the ball mount and found I was one of the "rare cases" when a second shim would be needed between the shank and the ball mount as per the instructions included with the hitch. I called one of the customer service numbers for Reese to order the kit and the first rep didn't know what I was talking about. I called the second number listed and the lady knew what I needed and got it coming. Now I wait for the free second shim kit (a 1 1/2 x 4" piece of sheet metal with two holes punched in it that could have been sent with the hitch) making me not a happy camper. Bean counters at work! Saved the company untold millions but also earned the company an unhappy customer who will share his experience with untold millions via the Internet. Good thing I wasn't a retailer setting this up for a customer who just purchased a 5 figure trailer from me and wanted to use his/her purchase and I had to tell them they would have to wait a week or more for want of a piece of sheet metal with two holes punched in it.

I emailed these thoughts to Reese customer service and got a reply back that didn't even address my concerns because the rep didn't understand the first sentence when I said I was in need of a second shim kit. He told me that I should have received a shim with the hitch.

Enough for now,

Jim
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #54

It would be easier to make the shim by tracing around the first one on a scrap piece of metal and cutting it out. It just has to fill the space and doesn't need to be pretty.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #55
sam

Default Getting set up with hitch.

Chances are that if a dealer had set this up for you they would of had some spare parts hanging around for you. Good thing you weren't wanting to leave on a trip. Got a very expensive storm door recently and had towait for the lock template to come by snail mail. Had to duct tape the brand new door closed on the exterior all is well now. Thanks for keeping us updated onyour adventures.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #56

Hi RichR,

But I'm bull headed!

Jim
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Hi RichR,

But I'm bull headed!

Jim
I know what you mean. It's the principle of the matter. The cost to stamp out the shim would be less than the postage to sent it in an envelope. I got only one shim as well.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #58

Exactly! Feedback is a good thing.

Jim
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #59

Default Update

Hi,

doesn't seem to be much posting and its raining here so activities are limited as well as motivation so I'll rattle on some.

Yesterday was unseasonably warm so I was able to finish up waxing the top half after taking it for a spin with the wd hitch. Works fine. BluTaco was able to pull the steepest hill we have around here, somewhere in the neighborhood of 7% in third without full throttle so I'll have a limitless reserve for tankage and baggage.

Brakes still aren't working great after adjustment but the intella-stop brake controller has some odd things on the display so I'll have to do more investigation.

Found Lexell caulk at the locall farm and home @$7.99 in white and clear so I bought a tube of white to try. Time to start moving stuff out of the shop and into the new garage so I can get the Hilo in.

Has anyone given their Hilo a pet name? I have a long list of names I have given vehicles that I have owned. My first car (1963) was a '55 Ford Victoria (not the Crown) 272 3spd od which or course was named Vickie. I then I traded up to a 1964 Chevelle Malibu SS 283 220hp 4sp which for some reason was named Pete Chevelle. And presently BluTaco, a '07 Tacoma dc Prerunner in Speedway blue and an '09 Hyundai Elantra Touring in chili pepper red which the now 6 yr old grandson for some unknown reason started calling Sugar soon after we got it 3 yrs ago.

So enough rambling, have a good day and make it a great week.

Jim
Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #60
sam

Default Assorted ramblings.

Read the information on the Lexell caulk. You may need a magnifying lens to do this. You can apply it to 40degrees. It takes several days to fully cure. I used in our restoration and it has held up for over a year. This is not a cheap caulk. You pay for quality. I'm sure you will notice the diference (in a good way) from other caulks you have used.