Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > New Member Intros
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 04-26-2024, 10:54 AM   #1

Default New Member, Service Question

I own a 24TB Towlite since new in 1999. The unit is in good condition and has been stored inside and had a refit in 2020. I have a cable problem that has just happen'd. the front corner on the passenger side is getting hung up at the ¾ lowered position. It goes back up normally. Any ideas or direction to a repair facilities familiar with this type camper? I am in Columbus Ohio. Thank You for responding. -Brad

Loosecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Brad, welcome to the forum. Have you looked at the cable to that point all the way from the ram to the top? It's possible it's frayed somewhere along its length and that part gets hung up on a pulley during lowering. Have you inspected the area between the inside of the upper half of that corner and the lower half for some debris that may be blocking the top? Are all the pulleys in good shape along that cable length?

You'll have to take off the inside trim strip along the top of the inside bottom half to see the cable and the pulleys there, possibly to check for debris that may be binding it too.

- Jack

Old 04-27-2024, 12:13 AM   #3
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

Jack has given you some spot on advice. I don't know of any repair place near you. J&R retired and no longer fix HiLOS. My HiLo dealer is in Lockport, NY. If you can find someone that is handy and knows how to follow directions this forum contains a PDF on replacing the cables. Best of luck with your problem.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 09:05 AM   #4

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosecamper View Post
I own a 24TB Towlite since new in 1999. The unit is in good condition and has been stored inside and had a refit in 2020. I have a cable problem that has just happen'd. the front corner on the passenger side is getting hung up at the ¾ lowered position. It goes back up normally. Any ideas or direction to a repair facilities familiar with this type camper? I am in Columbus Ohio. Thank You for responding. -Brad
Thank You, I will try this over the weekend.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:57 PM   #5

Hi Loosecamper,

It sounds to me like you may have a screw backed our of one of the guide block rails which is preventing the top from coming all the way down. You may want to look at all of the aluminum rails on outside, bottom of the camper to see if there are any protruding screws. If a screw backs out, it will hit the guide block and could stop the top from coming all the way down.

Let us know what you find!
97towlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:24 PM   #6

Default Thank You Sam, 97 Towlite and JackandJanet

Good News!
being that I do not consider myself the most mechaical sort, I appreciate the advise. I raised the the top half and it worked fine, then took off the wood trim piece, looked at the cable and top pully and was about to crawl under the camper to look over the rest when I noticed the tube that supports the bunk bed when lowered was hanging down and not retracted where it should have been. Sure enough, there was a crushed spot on the trim board about where the support should be when using the bunk and viola- with the support pushed back up to it's place, she went down like new!

sorta embarased as ive crushed a few forgotten cans over the years and make it a point to do a good visual each time i lower but sure didnt notice the erant bunk suport...... Thanks all- I am sure Ill have other communications.

Would luv to meet up if there is a Hi/Low TowLite rendevous this year. -Brad
Old 04-30-2024, 12:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Good that you found the problem, Brad. I've noticed that sometimes the support for my bunk bed is not staying attached to it's velcro keeper. I think I may devise a different support device that will hold it up if it doesn't stay like it should. A simple tab that's screwed into the frame that swivels out under the support should do it.

The screw backed out of the guide track was also a super suggestion, even if it didn't apply in this case. I never thought of that - good catch 97towlite!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:50 AM   #8
sam

Default Problem solved.

Good you got your problem solved for 0$. We probably could start a very long post on bloopers we have made. That includes many long time owners.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:53 AM   #9

Default Thank you, also slide screws

Thank You Jack. Ill do that.
Also 97 TowLite- I had a slide screw back out once before and it was in a place that I had to remove the emergency escape window to get to it and replace. The offending screw was inaccessible when the top half was down. So just the opposite problem from this last one, the screw stopped it from raising. Now at least once a year I tighten all the screws, both sides and or replace any that seem stripped out. -Brad
Old 05-03-2024, 02:51 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosecamper View Post
Good News!
being that I do not consider myself the most mechaical sort, I appreciate the advise. I raised the the top half and it worked fine, then took off the wood trim piece, looked at the cable and top pully and was about to crawl under the camper to look over the rest when I noticed the tube that supports the bunk bed when lowered was hanging down and not retracted where it should have been. Sure enough, there was a crushed spot on the trim board about where the support should be when using the bunk and viola- with the support pushed back up to it's place, she went down like new!

sorta embarased as ive crushed a few forgotten cans over the years and make it a point to do a good visual each time i lower but sure didnt notice the erant bunk suport...... Thanks all- I am sure Ill have other communications.

Would luv to meet up if there is a Hi/Low TowLite rendevous this year. -Brad
Sounds like an item you might want to add to the lowering checklist. I printed this out and put between two pieces of thin Plexiglas and use a grease pencil to check off each item. I've added a few items to my list. We all get forgetful sometimes. (Those that have and those that will.)

https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f55...checklist-362/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable adjustment, service