Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Interior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 08-28-2017, 02:38 AM   #1

Default dinette mod

Hi,
Does anybody know how the drop leaf table worked in the 1968 Hi Lo? It says it is a bed and a drop leaf table. I am wondering how it would be able to drop down without hitting the ledge to support it when it was used as a bed. link to picture of table
http://www.hilotrailer.com/pdfs/1968.pdf
Thanks
lincow
2202 Towlite

lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Team

lincow, on one of my early repair jobs, the owner asked the same question, we found the table had to be in the up position, then the whole table lifted (by two people for ease) then set down on the ledge. But, in the pic shown, the table is lowered at the joint and passes the ledge! The table I saw lifted out of two FRENCH CLEETS mounted to the wall, and when lowered, fit right on to the ledge. I don't think there were "EXTRA parts" to do this. Hummmm....
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

Thanks Treeclimber. Full disclosure I cut my table and installed a piano hinge and did it based on another pic on the Internet but did not think it thru. I have ordered an adjustable folding table leg because the leg was too long for the drop leaf. After researching the pic I saw it said it couldn't be used as a bed but I don't understand how it is in the drop leaf position. It is hanging down and the supports are still on the sides. I bought this trailer for the big bed but that table is big and heavy and makes it difficult to use storage.Any ideas how I can modify supports for the bed and still use the drop leaf?
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/141863456995637793/
Old 08-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincow View Post
Hi,
Does anybody know how the drop leaf table worked in the 1968 Hi Lo? It says it is a bed and a drop leaf table. I am wondering how it would be able to drop down without hitting the ledge to support it when it was used as a bed. link to picture of table
http://www.hilotrailer.com/pdfs/1968.pdf
Thanks
lincow
2202 Towlite
If it's like my 1976, the Drop Leaf is hinged. For the Full Table or Bed, the 1x3 below the top (in the track) with the Long Leg should be in place to keep the full table Solid, then one person can Lift the Front of the Table to release it from the French Catches, and swings down while attached to the Short Legged Rectangular Hinge across the end at the front of the Hi-Lo, and help support it when in the Bed Position. Then there is also a Shorter Table Leg for additional support as a Bed.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Site Team

Agree with ya Bruce, Figured there had to be more to it. I have seen table-to-bed legs with a wing nut affair, loosen the wing nut to drop the leg to bed position. lincow's situation seems a bit different. Seems the table has NO support when in the bed position. Wonder if some kind of "L" bracket can be installed on each side when a bed is needed and stowed when not needed. I'll have to think a bit, don't let me forget!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

Tree, my '76' legs are in a bracket in which you pull on the leg to disengage it, and then Rotate it to either the Folded or Support Position.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 08-30-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Bru, I understand the LEG arrangement, it's the table support dilemma needs to be overcome. I don't really know what to do. I'm thinking of the "L" bracket cure. There must have been some kind of ledge for the tabletop to sit on, even if it was 3/4s of the length to allow folding as in the picture, then maybe another ledge at the back. Sorry, I just don't know.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #8

Tree, the 1- piece "Rectangular" Hinge Pin (1/4" to 3'16" Rod) runs nearly 2/3 of the space at the Front Wall between the couches half way between the Bed & Table positions, supporting the table at both positions (it's even similar on my 2000). On the Table, The Hinge only comes back toward itself as Hinge Bolts into Hinge Brackets at the ends of a 1x3 between them on the bottom of the Table end, eliminating the need for another support. Think about it? The only support on the other end of the Table is only the One short leg (which isn't even included on the 2000)!
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 08-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #9

Hi
The 2 things I did not take into consideration the swing away hardware would not support weight and the ledge clearance when the drop leaf folds. I am adding a folding leg to add support when it is in drop leaf position. Also cutting out some of the bed support ledge so drop leaf can swing down. Then will revaluate. Not sure if there will be enough ledge support for bed.
Thanks
lincow