Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Site Team

Default Master switch

Just curious, anybody know the CORRECT wiring of the master switch next to the raise/lower switch. With the switch in the "lower" position, I have 120v power. same in the middle position and upper position. FULL TIME 120v?
I know how it should work, but my newer unit has 120v in all three spots. Thanks.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Just curious, anybody know the CORRECT wiring of the master switch next to the raise/lower switch. With the switch in the "lower" position, I have 120v power. same in the middle position and upper position. FULL TIME 120v?
I know how it should work, but my newer unit has 120v in all three spots. Thanks.
Tree
That circuit is strictly 12 volts. Are you sure you are reading your meter correctly? The power comes into the center contact, one contact goes through a fuse to the raise lower switch, and one contact goes to the interior power circuits (lights,furnace,water heater,etc.). It is a single pole, single pole switch(SPST) and power can only go to the lift circuit or the interior circuits individually at a time, not both.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Huuuum.. Yesterday while checking out systems on my newer unit, I saw that I had 120v lights in the master bedroom regardless of switch position. I thought that odd so I checked my older unit and when in the down position (lower/raise only) had no power anywhere except R/L and refer. All other systems were off, as it should be. What I was looking for is a diagram of how the switch SHOULD be wired. Only thing I can think to do is read out all the wires, see what systems they are and re-wire accordingly. Sound right?
Thanks Rich, I'll check what wire diagrams I can find.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 01-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #4

Default Wiring diagram

Here is the wiring diagram that I pulled up from the electrical section:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f51/...ry-wiring-116/ There should be no difference between the model years. This one was redrawn by a forum member.

Also, the wiring diagram should be in your owners manual. Here is a 2001 manual which is probably the same as yours. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...2001-hi-lo-23/
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 01-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Rich, I copied that, but it unfortunately doesn't tell me what color wires go where on the master switch. Thanks though, I have time so I'll read them out, but, before changing them I'll check with the forum. A little more troubleshooting won't hurt anything.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 01-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

If you have a meter or a test light check the one 10 gauge red wire to be live with 12 volts. That goes from a circuit breaker in the battery compartment to the middle terminal. The other 10 gauge red wire goes to the converter. The the other wire goes through the fuse to the up/down switch.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 01-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Your a master RichR. I did do some T/S and did exactly what you said, then it dawned on me... of course a 120v light will work, when your hooked up to shore power! And again, of course, 120v won't work in the middle position. Bottom line nothings wrong, it's just my antique brain. Your T/S are right on point, Thanks. The master switch has no 120v lines.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 01-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #8
Site Team

I'm having bunches of "Senior Moments" now Tree. Glad I'm not alone.

- Jack