Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #1

Default tools for taking along

Is there any special tools someone would want to take along when camping for their HiLo.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Site Team

A multimeter is a MUST, in my opinion. This allows you to diagnose and possibly repair electrical problems.

A set of wrenches that will fit any nuts in the trailer (such as those on the battery posts). I also have an adjustable wrench, pliers and screwdrivers. Heavy tape (I have a roll of "Gorilla tape").

Spare fuses, and possibly one or two extra light bulbs (I have extra LEDs, since I converted all my bulbs to LEDs).

A spray can of lithium grease and some hitch ball grease.

I think that's about everything I have.

- Jack

Old 01-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #3

Default Tools

I'm always interested in this topic, especially on the motorcycle forum which I follow. Some riders take a full tool set, so full in fact that they must have a sidecar to carry everything! On the other side of the coin, other riders say they only need two tools......a cell phone and credit card! I guess they are both valid approaches!

I'd add that you should check to be sure you can change a flat on your trailer. I carry a spare jack and lug wrench in the pickup bed so I don't have to disassemble the truck interior to get to these necessities, regardless of whether the flat is on the TV or trailer. This is especially useful as the truck interior is usually loaded with other items. With a dual axle trailer, you can forego the jack and use a Trailer Aid ramp device to get the flat tire off the ground.

Also, we once had a trailer and the lug wrench wouldn't loosen the spare tire. The lug wrench was the right size for the nut holding the spare, but the nut was a few inches down on the bolt, and the lug wrench would need to have a very deep socket in order to work. So, I had to always remember to carry my socket wrench with a deep socket and an extension.

A "dry run" on changing a flat, while in the comfort of your own driveway, can be a valuable experience!

You might also find use for a Robertson screwdriver. The Robertson screw is the screw that requires a square bit. Many RV manufacturers use the Robertson screw. There are 3 or 4 sizes, I believe. If you need to do some interior repairs, or even remove the wood trim so you can lube the cables on the lift mechanism (which should be done at least annually) you'll find a set of Robertson screwdrivers to be of use. You can also buy one screwdriver with interchangeable bits, which would save a bit of space and weight.

Always have a can of WD-40 or similar to use on the stabilizer jacks, tongue jack (whether electric or manual), hitch coupler, door hinges, and other miscellaneous places.

Safe travels,
piperjim
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside1954 View Post
Is there any special tools someone would want to take along when camping for their HiLo.
I also take along a large open end wrench that fits the nut on the hitch ball. Not common, but that nut has been known to work loose, which probably was not tightened completely in the first place.:
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Brookside1954, Agree with all the above. On the Robertson, most are #2 bits. I carry several 1" a couple 2" and even a 6" long bits and all have come in to play. Just a note to all, the Robertson screw system will be replacing ALL screws in the near future, electrical switches and outlets are already converted and slowly the rest of industries will follow.
I also carry a 18 volt drill and two 3/4" sockets for the stabilizers. One goes on a ratchet to loosen the stab, then the drill runs it down and the ratchet snugs it.
Dry run or short trips will fill in any gaps.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #6

Thank you all for your input
Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
sam

Default Tool list

You have been given many good sugestions. I probably should review my packing list and I would come up with a few more things. How about pen and paper/sticky notes. Comes in handy for things you need to replenish/bring. Roll of duct tape. Tire pressure gage.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

Add spare fuses to the list for both the trailer and the tow vehicle.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

Don't forget a "HiLo" jack. They are really called a farm jack. In the 19 years I owned a HiLo, I only had to use it once when a cable snapped. Being a tall jack, they do come in handy. My wife says I carry too much "stuff" when we travel. The tallness helps in supporting the top if a cable breaks while you are camping. Just my off the wall suggestion........................

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #10
sam

Default Farm Jack

Had a flat tire when the HiLo was parked in front of our house. Neighbor had the jack we needed,but wasn't home. Made a mad dash to Auto Zone and had to pay more than harbor freight!! Discovered later that we had a bear of a time because the leaf spring had broken. We also used the farm jack alot when we were doing extensive repairs to "old Faithful. Very useful when you have to break the two halves apart to replace the seal. Another time we were out camping and we used our bottle jack to help another camper.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

Excellent thread and we are short a couple things for sure. Will check out that farm jack when we go to Tractor Supply to pick up dog food. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #12

I'm a Battery impact driver fan 1/4..Mine will bust lug nuts and screw screws.Drill hole proper bits.. Etrnabond tape...10f of 4" or so... Lexel in squeeze tube /like toothpaste tube(example)...WD 40
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
I'm a Battery impact driver fan 1/4..Mine will bust lug nuts and screw screws.Drill hole proper bits.. Etrnabond tape...10f of 4" or so... Lexel in squeeze tube /like toothpaste tube(example)...WD 40
Oh yea be carefull when tightning screws it will twist them off..I usually run them in almost and finish with Hand Screwdriver...If ya got a Drill with multi torq settings that works great...But it dont bust lugnuts well....

cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote