Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Library > Reference Library > Lift System
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to donm449
Default Hydraulic lift problem/question?

Just got back from a good trip with our 1999 21' Hi Lo funlite. Had made a number of stops and on our last morning breaking down to depart for home could not get the safety bar to release.....actually could not get the top to go up to take pressure off of it. Finally did and lowered made it home.

But after getting home could only raise but about half way and would immediettly come down. Then would not raise at all. Added some fluid which I thought would resolve. Unfortuently no luck would not go up. Checked manual lowering knob, was closed. Worked switch while opening and closing lowering knob., no help.

Nothing happens, no noise of pump running, when pushing the down side of up/down swithch....thought I remembered had run when lowering in the past?

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated...thanks...don m

donm449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #2

The motor does not run in the down mode. The switch activates a solenoid valve that releases the fluid back to the reservoir. When putting the top up does the pump motor change sound like it has reached its limit and is up against a stop or does it keep the same sound. There is the possibility that there is something that has fallen in and is wedged between the inside and outside walls.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Is the motor protected by a fuse or circuit breaker that could have blown/tripped?

Can you raise the top using the manual "crank handle"?

- Jack
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

As Rich said, the pump does NOT run when lowering. Is the pump running when you try to raise the top? If it is look to make sure nothing is wedged between the top and bottom. Make sure a pulley is not broken and a cable is wedged between the pulley and its bracket. When you raise the top and it reaches the top limit and pressure builds up, a spring loaded relief valve in the pump opens to bypass fluid so a cable is not broken or other damage done. There is no limit switch that stops the pump when the top reaches its fully up position. If this bypass valve is stuck open this would not let the top raise. If the manual lowering valve has something sticking in the needle valve and preventing it from closing completely, this would not let the top raise. First thing tho is to let us know if the pump runs when you try to raise the top. None of the above is applicable if the pump is not running. Its a simple system, so should not be hard to find your problem. Also do you have the owners/service manual? Hope this helps.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm449 View Post
Just got back from a good trip with our 1999 21' Hi Lo funlite. Had made a number of stops and on our last morning breaking down to depart for home could not get the safety bar to release.....actually could not get the top to go up to take pressure off of it. Finally did and lowered made it home.

But after getting home could only raise but about half way and would immediettly come down. Then would not raise at all. Added some fluid which I thought would resolve. Unfortuently no luck would not go up. Checked manual lowering knob, was closed. Worked switch while opening and closing lowering knob., no help.

Nothing happens, no noise of pump running, when pushing the down side of up/down swithch....thought I remembered had run when lowering in the past?

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated...thanks...don m
You said it would only raise part way and would immediately come back down. Did it come back down on its own as soon as you released the up button? It sounds as though the fluid is leaking back and the pump is not keeping up to it if that is happening. The pump may be going bad or the solenoid valve may not be closing when not energized. I'm just guessing at this point as I have never had a lift experience.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Default Answers

Thanks for the replys...The pump runs when you attempt to raise with a continuous sound....seems like it always did when going up not when it reached the top.

When it came down when partially raised it did come down on it owns as soon as the up button was released.

I do have a manual and have been trying to trouble shoot from it but so far with out success.

I will look for something lodged or cable/pully problem.

Tried the manual pump and would not raise it.

Thanks again....will keep working on it.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #7

I would say that the fluid is leaking back into the reservoir. Maybe a call J&R Repair would be in order. I'm sure they have seen it all.
http://www.jrrepair.embarqspace.com/#
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #8

Since the top raises and then comes down on its own this eliminates anything stuck between the top and bottom and a cable or pulley problem. Rich again is right that there is another valve in the system (solenoid valve) and there is also a check valve in the manual pump. If anyone of these valves or the ones in my previous post is stuck open, this is where your problem is. There is a procedure in the owner manual for dislodging dirt in the lowering valve, try this. If none of this works call JR and see if they can help. Ask if the pump is worth rebuilding and cost. If I had the problem I would try removing the above valves, cleaning them and replacing. For your info, Northern Tool sell an almost identical pump with the manual pump if it comes down to it.
central VA
Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #9

I looked thru my paperwork and found that I had downloaded a copy of a good illustrated parts breakdown of the pump from the forum and also a better procedure for cleaning the valves. Search for "How to fix top half creep in your Hilo trailer and also the pump breakdown.
central VA
Old 06-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #10

Thanks again all for info. Still trying to isolate the exact problem. I did talk to, via e-mail, Rob from J & R who thought it might be a bad cylinder if pump is working. He said check the return line and see if fluid is coming back through the return line from the pump. If so would be the cylinder.....but no fluid coming back....so probably not. Unfortunetly by the time I checked it and tried to call him back they were gone for the day.....So more follow up with them on Monday.

Seems like it is trying to pump as I went underneath and saw the piston start to move but only a very short time...almost seems like the pump is not having enough preasure to raise it or one of the valves is stuck open. See nothing stuck, did try and clean the blead out via manual lowering valve, wondering about the bypass valve but not sure if that is same as manual lowering valve?or how to check the solinoid valve. Will check more over the weekend. thanks again and if anymore thoughts send them my way.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #11

Default Keep Us Posted

Keep us posted as you find and correct the problem. Your input could save someone else a heap of work. The J&R boys are terrific at guiding us in the right direction.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #12

Smile lifting while plugged in

Can someone tell me if I have my Hi-Lo plugged in; is the hydro pump suppose to work? Or does it only work when its hooked up to the battery? I have a 1979 Hi-LO 1779 Model.

Thanks
camper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #13

It should work both ways. Is your battery hooked up and charged? I assume that you have the pump switch turned on. Check the fuses also.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #14

My battery is hooked up but when I dont have it hooked up and just plugged in, it doesnt do anything. I just got it like 2 days ago. Im not sure where the pump switch is located; cant find any fuses either. Could you perhaps help me out? Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #15

The battery is an integral part of the electrical system. All the 12 volt circuits come off the battery and the charger/converter is there to charge the battery and to convert 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC. If you have a panel that shows the tank levels there may be a switch there that controls the water pump.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #16

Here is a copy of the 2001 Towlite manual. It is probably close to your model in how all the systems work. Section 2 explains the electrical system. Most of the fuses and the converter are in the front left cabinet area.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...2001-hi-lo-23/
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #17

I've been looking all over and Finally found the converter and the fuses. None of the fuses are blown. I tried crawling underneath of the camper tonight and lightly pound the part that is suppose to slide back in so see if I could get it to move and it wont budge. I tried looking for the manual release valve and turned that clockwise like the manual says but that didnt work either. I have a brand new battery purchased today. If the cables are not lubed, would that make it not come down? Its not on the safety bar, that pulls out just fine. I need help. I want to get this down so I can pull it
Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
sam

Default Can'ty get trailer down

Camper where are you located on the slim chance someone lives somewhere near you? Go ahead and lube the cables as this won't hurt them. Part of the yearly maintenance anyway.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #19

I live in Wausau WI. I spent all night reading the manual and testing. I did test the toggle switch and it states in the manual that the yellow cable is not suppose to get 12 volts unless the switch is in the down position. I have 12 volts going to it in the off position so I replaced the toggle but I get the same results with the new one could it be the lower valve?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #20

Also there is barely any fliud in the pump... Does that have anything to do with it?