New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 AM   #11
sam

Default Saw your pictures

Now I see why this was a free HiLo. It is a shame about the amt. of water damage. I had some wall damage in my 1990 25ft. Classic. Start by putting cardboard down on the floor and all counter tops. Duct tape your seams on the floor. Take pictures of your drapery hardware and do measured drawings. A good place to start is replacing the roof both inside and outside. Didn't have to do ours. Other forum members have replaced roofs. Next you would take your interior walls down to the fiberglass. A multi tool works real good.You will need to raise the HiLo up and put 2x4s on the exterior corners. Mark your screws between the tires on the drivers side. Then You can loosen the bolts to be able to mostly get the halves apart. The walls consist of 1/8th paneling,styrofoam sheets and 1/8 paneling with wall paper on it. Harbor freight is good for the multitool and razor blades. Cable replacement in my 1998 24TD 3-3-2010 explaines how to break te HiLo apart and shows the boards at the exterior corners. If you have some time,energy and about $2.000 for material. Today I will get my DD to post the link to our photo bucket restoration story. Don't throw away any cupboards. They can be washed out and freshened up with Early American stain by Minwax. It is hard for me to explain all the steps and tools you will need. If my memory is correct the top cupboards were uninstalled by lifting out the thin bottom and then removing screws. Have a helper as they are a little heavy. You will need to take out all of your windows and reseal. I'll explain this when you get to this step.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:19 AM   #12
sam

Default More remodel/restoration.

The reason our walls got water damaged is because we didn't realize the the windows needed to be taken out and resealed. Other supplies needed..tubes of heavy duty liquid nails. Two tubes per 4x8 sheet of paneling. Cheapest at Walmart. Bondo to put on the inside fiberglass to seal it up of small holes you can't even see. Can of foam sealent.butyl tape.Lexel caulk,Good respirator.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 AM   #13
sam

Default Is this worth doing?

Only you can answer this question. It could take you a year working evenings and weekends. Are you handy? And do you want to put the $ into this.? These older RVS are sturdier than new ones.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #14

We had a 1986 that looked just like this model. Used as a guest trailer for many years. Lots of memories. Recently bought a 1999 Hi-Lo Classic 2299. Loving it.

Harmony Lodge is offline   Reply With Quote