Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > Curious about Hi-Lo Campers?
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 06-18-2023, 10:52 AM   #1

Default 1986 HiLo stuck permently in the up postion

So I am thinking about purchasing this camper however they tell me it is permanently stuck in the up position and I am curious if that is ok to haul? I know it may depend on my state laws but curious if anyone may know.

Thanks

Cricket82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Team

No, a HiLo should never be towed in the UP position. It has nothing to do with state laws, just the construction of the HiLo itself. It will be further damaged if towed with the top raised.

It would help to know why it is "stuck" in the UP position. That would be something you would want to fix and you'd like to know what the problem is before you buy it.

- Jack

Old 06-23-2023, 12:40 AM   #3

Just a guess without knowing more about the trailer's history and how long it's been stuck "up", but it could be something as simple as a missing or dead battery, low fluid in the pump & hydraulic system or an electrical problem that's keeping the pump motor from running and raising the upper section enough to get it off the safety bar.
Old 06-23-2023, 04:38 PM   #4

I totally agree with Jack and Janet that it should not be towed in the upright position. Permanently stuck or permanently secured in the upright position. My cables broke while I was raising it and it bent the Hydraulic ram and I could not find cables or new ram at the time. My local camper dealership told me that they could permanently secure it in the upright position and had done it numerous times. I had it permanently secured and towed it roughly 600 miles annually for 5 years. Finally sold it and they parked it on a permanent site and they love it. Good luck!
kenobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 04:21 PM   #5

may also be nothing more than the safety bar is not released. For this have it raised as far as you can, then pull the cable and if does not move then go underneath and if there is a tube like mine then spray inside it with WD40 to loosen it up and try it and maybe just push up on the bar with something and have somebody push the button to lower. I had to do both these with ours.
Another thing I had to do is on our 2808 C it would not raise or lower and that was because the cable was on the wrong side of the switches and it wore through the tube at the top and shorted out the switches and blew the fuse which is in behind the panel where the switches and cable is.
Lwwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:29 AM   #6

It could be just rust on the slide bar that parallels the hydraulic ram.
DunhamsDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:42 PM   #7
Site Team

The problem is, he has to travel a distance to get to the trailer and then he has to be able to troubleshoot and correct the problem. What tools does he take? Other equipment? How many of you would want to do this?

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote