Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 03-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #1

Smile HiLo Question

We have just bought a 2002 HiLo 19 ft.It has been well taken care of and is almost like new inside.It came with a brand new cover which we will use being in the Mojave Desert and subject to high temps and wind.My question is I noticed in the back of the trailer there is a way you can tow something with your trailer,We have a little generator that weighs about 60 pds,could we get a small rack to put on the back to haul our generator?I was looking at one that weighs 33 pds.It would sure be alot easier to haul our generator that way then to lift it up and down out of the back of our 2003 Ford 150,King Ranch which sits high off the ground.Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated.I just want to say how much I love our little HiLo,we had a Jayco pop-up that we loved but being in our 70's it was just too much to have to put up or down.Now our daughter and better half are enjoying it as much as we did,.I love sitting in the door of our trailer and pushing a button to raise the top..

cynwoman1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
sam

Default welcome to the forum

cynwoman1942...Welcome to the forum. The HiLo is not designed to carry weight on the bumper. Many back posts on this subject. You could get a winch at Harbor Freight and winch it up into your truck. Enjoy your new HiLo. We also went from a popup to our 25ft. HiLo. I call it "being a spoiled brat" just open the door and go in. Take some time to preview the operational videos and maintenance items. Best of times in all your camping adventures.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. You will get a good deal of worthwhile advice here.

Hi-los are relatively heavy and thus the tongue weight is often substantial. That said, any weight you put that far back is going to change the weight dynamics of the trailer. In general, the rule of thumb is to try to keep loads towards the front- but that can get complicated also if you have a high tongue weight to start with. The more weight is shifted to the back the more you may experience sway or bounce when towing. That said- the extra 90-100 lbs may not be a deal breaker especially if you are using (hopefully) a weight distribution hitch and sway control. But- do be aware weight distribution in the trailer matters so if you add it and things seem to be going down the road differently that additional weight may be the culprit. I'm sure others here have more experience with that type of thing and will be able to offer more insight. When you say you noticed there is a "way you can tow something" do you mean a receiver hitch? And if so- how is it mounted? To what? Otherwise, I agree with sam that attaching it to the bumper is no ta good idea. But a receiver hitch well installed to the frame and rated for that type of weight may work ok.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwoman1942 View Post
We have just bought a 2002 HiLo 19 ft.It has been well taken care of and is almost like new inside.It came with a brand new cover which we will use being in the Mojave Desert and subject to high temps and wind.My question is I noticed in the back of the trailer there is a way you can tow something with your trailer,We have a little generator that weighs about 60 pds,could we get a small rack to put on the back to haul our generator?I was looking at one that weighs 33 pds.It would sure be alot easier to haul our generator that way then to lift it up and down out of the back of our 2003 Ford 150,King Ranch which sits high off the ground.Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated.I just want to say how much I love our little HiLo,we had a Jayco pop-up that we loved but being in our 70's it was just too much to have to put up or down.Now our daughter and better half are enjoying it as much as we did,.I love sitting in the door of our trailer and pushing a button to raise the top..
Welcome cynwoman1942! We are located just up the hill from you in the Tehachapi area. Good to see another local on the forum!

I believe others have had success hauling items on the back of their trailers but I have no personal experience with that. If you choose to haul the generator on the back of the trailer, be sure to account for the weight of the rack as well as fuel cans, accessories, etc. It can add up pretty quick!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwoman1942 View Post
cynwoman1942, I sent you a private message.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote