Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Default Looking for Advice

We're currently building a small house in St Thomas (the Island). We're going to have the foundation completed soon, the rest to follow over the next couple of years. I've designed a storage space in the foundation that has an 8 foot 6 inch wide opening, 8 foot high, with 24 foot length. The original plan was to buy a tent camper (currently when we go there we're in a tepee tent!) and store it under the foundation during hurricane season. I think the Hi Lo would be much better though. After the house is built the Hi Lo will be the guest bedroom, as the main house is only 650 sq ft. I'm thinking the biggest one that will fit is the 22. Also, after the trailer is on site the only way we have to get it in and out is going to be some kind of chain hoist or come along, so lighter would be better. The wife has certain needs (a toilet) so I was wondering about a couple of things. What's the smallest Hi Lo that has a toilet? This is oceanside, so corrosion is a big issue. What years have the fiberglass construction versus the aluminum? Looking to spend a max of about $10K or so, plan to start looking seriously in the FL area in a couple of months (it has to ship out of Jacksonville or Miami). I would appreciate any input on the best model for this project.
Thanks,
Jerry

Shredderf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredderf16 View Post
We're currently building a small house in St Thomas (the Island). We're going to have the foundation completed soon, the rest to follow over the next couple of years. I've designed a storage space in the foundation that has an 8 foot 6 inch wide opening, 8 foot high, with 24 foot length. The original plan was to buy a tent camper (currently when we go there we're in a tepee tent!) and store it under the foundation during hurricane season. I think the Hi Lo would be much better though. After the house is built the Hi Lo will be the guest bedroom, as the main house is only 650 sq ft. I'm thinking the biggest one that will fit is the 22. Also, after the trailer is on site the only way we have to get it in and out is going to be some kind of chain hoist or come along, so lighter would be better. The wife has certain needs (a toilet) so I was wondering about a couple of things. What's the smallest Hi Lo that has a toilet? This is oceanside, so corrosion is a big issue. What years have the fiberglass construction versus the aluminum? Looking to spend a max of about $10K or so, plan to start looking seriously in the FL area in a couple of months (it has to ship out of Jacksonville or Miami). I would appreciate any input on the best model for this project.
Thanks,
Jerry
The new Hi-Lo Trailer Company's web site has the old Hi-Lo's listed by year and it appears the fiberglass construction was used by 2001, and the smallest unit for that year was a 17T, which has a toilet/bath. You mentioned a chain hoist or come along to move the trailer out of storage. There are several motorized devices that will move trailers out of storage, one being the Power Caster, which is located in Temple City, CA and the other is Parkit360, which is at www.parkit360.com. I do not know anything about the Parkit360, but I have used a Power Caster for twenty years. I did have to replace the inner tube on the tire last year after it finally popped.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #3

How do you get it there??

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Site Team

hilltool, They say it will be shipped out of Miami or Jacksonville. I'd park it at Hull Bay if I had a pick of property. Lived there for 1 1/2 years thanks to the US Navy!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #5

Guys,
Thanks for the advice, it was just what I was looking for. I think it's a little too wide for a container, but they have a couple of car ferries that run between Florida and the USVI. Runs about $2k for a car. I like the power caster idea, sounds a lot safer than what I was thinking of.
Jerry Barth
Shredderf16 is offline   Reply With Quote