Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #1

Default Mom Rving with kids

Hi,
I am considering buing an rv to use with my two children. My hubby doesn't care for the idea of camping, so I'll be on my own to manage everything. We have a Silverado, and I have never pulled anything. From research, the Hi Lo seems to be the easiest to tow. I am looking at the shortest models- 17ft & 18ft. I would like to have more room than what these offer, but I am not sure if the longer models are significantly harder to pull. Any advice? Also, I live in Louisiana and would like a used model. Anyone know the best places to look for a used HiLo in my area? Thanks.

SouthernMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Ebay and Craigslist are good places to start. I found mine on Ebay about 30 miles up the road from me.

RCREYES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #3

Default Mom Eving with kids

I know it is easer to pull the double axel trailers. Some of the very short trailers only have one axel. This makes the trailer harder to back up and harder to handel going down the road. I also live in the Baton Rouge area of Louisiana and would like to invite you and the kids to go camping with the Gulf Cost HiLo Club. There is a HiLo dealer on I-49 at Oppulices La.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #4

SouthernMom -

Welcome to the Hi-Lo community

Assuming that your Silverado has a V8 engine, you could handle at least a 22 footer, you might be able to handle more depending on other factors of your tow vehicle, but you'd be fine with up to 22-23.

Do you know what series your Silverado is, 1500? 2500? You'll also need to have, or add, a trailer brake controller, trailer hitch, and a transmission cooler is a great idea too. With 3 of you, and hopefully 4 (hubby), you will want to have some sort of truck bed cover, as you will need the extra storage space and the cover will keep your gear dry and safe. It's highly recommended to have a weight distributing hitch, but don't buy one until after you find your camper, because sometimes they will sell the WDH with the camper.

Bev and I really admire that you're going to take your kids camping, it's one of the best family activities there is. Have you ever taken the kids camping before? If not, you may want to rent a camper for your first trip, kinda like a test drive. I doubt you can find a Hi-Lo for this, but you could easily find a pop-up. It's a cheap way to check things out. DW and I rented one for our first "camper" experience. We had only tent camped until that. We loved using the pop-up, but we wanted something more substantial, and with more comforts, so after much research, we bought a Hi-Lo and we love it.

Louisiana has a great Hi-Lo club, it would really help you to hang out with these folks, you'd learn a ton, and have a really good time. One of our most experienced members, Sam Shields, is a member of this club. Here's a link to their information.
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f42/...hi-lo-club-36/

Please ask all of the questions you want. Campers are very friendly folks, and none are happier to help you then the ones in the Hi-Lo community.

Neal
Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #5

Default Thanks for replying

Thanks for replying to my post. I am still researching and looking around for used models. My truck is a V8. I think I would feel more comfortable with something shorter than 22'. Thanks for the info on the club. As soon as I am set up, I will definitely check out the group.

Do you have any suggestions on where to look for a good used model? I am combing the internet, looking at classifieds, and talking to people. It seems like Texas as more of a selection of used hilos than Louisiana. What is the thought on buying out of state? Any tips on how to spot damaged models is also appreciated.

Also is it common to purchase a used model well above the nada book value?
thanks again,
Ellie
Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #6

Default Mom rving with kids

If you plan to purchase in the Baton Rouge area I will be glad to check the trailer for you. I was a HiLo service manager for 20 years and It is my trailer of choice. I am now retired but I am currently the President of the HiLo club in this area. If you wish me to check out any posable purchase give me a call at 225-931-7244.
Sam
Old 05-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #7

Default 1997 hi-lo

Would you recommend purchasing a model as late as 1997 if it is in good condition or do you recommend a newer used model? Thank you so much for your offer.

Ellie
Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #8

Default Mom rving with kids

If the trailer is in good condition the age does not mater. You can go to NADA.com and look up the suggested price you should pay for any used trailer rember to add any extra equipment that may come on the trailer, like a awning or a satilite tv antna, etc.

I know several people who have units over 20 years old that are in grate condition. If a unit has had good manitance and Has been properly resealed most thinks will work good. Some appliances, like the refg. only have a limited life expectancy. A refg cooling unit will go bad around 10 years. that is the most expensive thing you need to ask about as they are over $1000.00.

Let me know if I can be of help.
Sam
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #9

I just bought mine and it is a 1994 Funlite it was well taken care of and with a few small exceptions is in great condition. Had to have ac repaired and the dealer did that at no charge. The amount you pay really is what you think the unit is worth in the condition it is in with the equipment it has. You can get a general idea on prices by the NADA book.

WV J
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Found this in Hatch, NM

Travel Trailers - 2001 Hi-Lo TowLite 22ft
RCREYES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #11

It's a nice looking trailer, but personally I think the price is high.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #12

Try this: OODLE CLASSIFIEDS.com RVs HI-LO (ads across the u.s.)

Used Hi Lo Listings | Used RV Listings | RVs.Oodle.com

Les 97 21ft. towlite 06 Toyota Tocoma
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #13

I agree with Bev and Neal about the high price of the HiLo offered in NM. Browsing HiLo dealers, the Kalispell, MT, dealer has a 31' HiLo Classic (in fair condition) for the same $13,000 price. Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote