Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Default Suv or truck?

New to this forum and new to campiing w/2207 hi lo. In process of buying a vehicle to tow it. Uvw is 3332 lbs. Gvwr is 5500 lbs. What does uvw and gvwr mean? What type of vehicle should we purchase, also what options should it have? Thank you!!
__________________

BRENHAROLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
miniceptor86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: McGregor, IA
Posts: 167
Default

Uvw= unloaded vehicle weight
Gvwr= gross vehicle weight rating, the most the vehicle and load should weigh.

You'll have to figure out the vehicle design you want on your own, tow rated at 120% of what you figure the trailer is going to weigh with all the stuff you put in it.
__________________

miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
hilltool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,199
Default

Make sure the gvwr of your truck or SUV can accommodate the actual weight of said tow vehicle plus tongue weight of trailer plus passengers plus gear in tow vehicle. For instance a light truck might weigh 5400 lb. passengers might be 400 to 500. Tongue weight could be 650. Gear another 200. You'd probably want at least 6800 gvwr. Weight of vehicle will be a big factor. Newer 1/2 tons might do you with high cargo capacity otherwise 3/4 ton vehicles are a pretty safe bet.

Rick
__________________
2201 TL

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Napa,CA
Posts: 874
Default

I'm towing a 2206 hi-lo with a 06 Toyota tacoma prerunner 2wheel drive double cab long bed with a tow package rated at 6500lbs. I wouldn't tow a 2207 hi-lo with a TV that's rated under 6500lbs. Truck or SUV is more a personal choice, just check the tow rating GVWR. SUV 's do have a lower tow rating. I like the four door trucks with a 6ft long bed. I found the longer the wheel base,the less sway you will have.
__________________
Les

2006 22ft towlite (replaces 97 21TL)
2006 Toyota tacoma pre-runner 4.0 L V-6 quad cab
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
PopRichie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Quakertown, PA
Posts: 1,073
Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77
Default

UVW is without options, my 2209 weighs 3860 lbs with factory installed options. My present tow vehicle has a 4500 lb tow rating and it struggles with the trailer, I am very experienced at towing and would not recommend this to anyone, something with around 6000 lb tow rating would be best.
I would also recommend a factory installed tow package, many give you a bigger radiator and a transmission cooler along with the hitch and wiring.
__________________
Rich
------------------------------------
(215TL) - 1995 21' TowLite
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upper left corner
Posts: 531
Default

Here's a good article on choosing a tow vehicle:
Choosing the Right Tow Vehicle

Also, keep in mind that a number of SUV and truck manufactures now abide by a new SAE standard used to compute tow ratings. This means that you don't really have to be so conservative in choosing a new tow vehicle as you had to be in the past. You can now chose a vehicle with a capacity close to your trailer's weight and be OK:
Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine

One more consideration, in general the longer the TV wheelbase, the more stable the whole rig will be. I used to tow a 18' TT with a 1/2 ton full sized truck, as well as a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep/trailer combination felt a bit more unsettled than the pickup/trailer combination.
__________________
Raul

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
PappaP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
Also, keep in mind that a number of SUV and truck manufactures now abide by a new SAE standard used to compute tow ratings. This means that you don't really have to be so conservative in choosing a new tow vehicle as you had to be in the past. You can now chose a vehicle with a capacity close to your trailer's weight and be OK:
Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine
Keep in mind that that new SAE standard is only used for vehicles from 2013 going forward. And the article doesn't say it is mandated but more of a suggested practice, so the vehicle manufacturers will probably still be selling whatever ratings they feel like to give them a competitive advantage in the market.
__________________
PappaP
Former Owner of a 1999 Classic HiLo Model 29B
PappaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
hilltool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,199
Default

I know nobody is arguing with me on this point----but GVWR of tow vehicle is just as critical, in my opinion, as the tow rating for the vehicle. My Trailer is rated at 4500 for maximum weight and in reality is around 4000. This is well UNDER the tow rating for my truck----but tongue weight and ME and wife etc puts me over GVWR for Tow Vehicle. I think that is somethinf that people continually overlook. Not YOU all- but many. I know I did.

Rick
__________________
2201 TL

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upper left corner
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaP View Post
Keep in mind that that new SAE standard is only used for vehicles from 2013 going forward. And the article doesn't say it is mandated but more of a suggested practice, so the vehicle manufacturers will probably still be selling whatever ratings they feel like to give them a competitive advantage in the market.
Very good point, I was under the impression that Toyota, as well as the Detroit three were all on board, but I just found this article that states otherwise:
Stalemate: J2807 Truck Towing Standard - Truck Trend News
__________________
Raul

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Site Team
 
JackandJanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pine, AZ
Posts: 3,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
I know nobody is arguing with me on this point----but GVWR of tow vehicle is just as critical, in my opinion, as the tow rating for the vehicle. My Trailer is rated at 4500 for maximum weight and in reality is around 4000. This is well UNDER the tow rating for my truck----but tongue weight and ME and wife etc puts me over GVWR for Tow Vehicle. I think that is somethinf that people continually overlook. Not YOU all- but many. I know I did.

Rick
To echo hilltool's point, if you carry any cargo or people in your TV, it is fairly easy to exceed the GVWR of the TV when you add in the trailer tongue weight. And, it is VERY easy to exceed one of the TV's axle weight limits (GAWR) too, if things aren't loaded properly. You should find these limits in your TV's owner's manual. The GAWR for one axle is normally about half of the GVWR, but there is a slight variation.

- Jack
__________________
Hi-Lo 1707T - Tire Minder TPMS on Tow Vehicle and Trailer, 300W Solar Battery Charger, Equal-i-zer WDH
2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 3.5L EcoBoost SCrew
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
PopRichie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Quakertown, PA
Posts: 1,073
Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77
Default

GVWR does not include the trailer weight. GCWR does which is not specified on a vehicle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_..._weight_rating
__________________
Rich
------------------------------------
(215TL) - 1995 21' TowLite
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upper left corner
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
GVWR does not include the trailer weight. GCWR does which is not specified on a vehicle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_..._weight_rating
I believe the point that is being made is that the trailer tongue or hitch weight contributes to the tow vehicle (TV) gross vehicle weight and the TV gross vehicle weight should be less than the GVWR.

Here is a good summary:
RV and Vehicle Weight Definitions
__________________
Raul

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Site Team
 
JackandJanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pine, AZ
Posts: 3,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
I believe the point that is being made is that the trailer tongue or hitch weight contributes to the tow vehicle (TV) gross vehicle weight and the TV gross vehicle weight should be less than the GVWR.

Here is a good summary:
RV and Vehicle Weight Definitions
Absolutely correct Raul! *thumbsup*

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Napa,CA
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENHAROLD View Post
New to this forum and new to campiing w/2207 hi lo. In process of buying a vehicle to tow it. Uvw is 3332 lbs. Gvwr is 5500 lbs. What does uvw and gvwr mean? What type of vehicle should we purchase, also what options should it have? Thank you!!
Options on TV or add after getting TV
transmission cooler
frame mounted hitch
7 pin connector
WDH with sway control
electric brake controller
high output charge line to trailer (30amp curcuit breaker w/10gauge wire so you can run the refrigerator on 12volts while towing)
a good set of towing mirrors
__________________
Les

2006 22ft towlite (replaces 97 21TL)
2006 Toyota tacoma pre-runner 4.0 L V-6 quad cab
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
PopRichie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Quakertown, PA
Posts: 1,073
Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77
Default

Yes, Rual you are correct, I forgot to point out that tongue weight is included in the GVWR.
Les, that is a good list for requirements for a tow vehicle.
__________________

__________________
Rich
------------------------------------
(215TL) - 1995 21' TowLite
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Hi-Lo Trailers Worldwide or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
HiLoTrailerForum.com Copyright 2010
×