Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Tank capacities in a 96 22' classic?

Can anyone tell me what your 96 classic comes with in the way of fresh and grey water tank capacities?
Was a furnace an option or standard and is it ducted or does it just blow straight out?
Is the fridge automatic switching and will it light itself?
Can you give me an idea of the milage you get towing and what you're towing with?

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
Can anyone tell me what your 96 classic comes with in the way of fresh and grey water tank capacities?

Thirty-four gallons each

Was a furnace an option or standard and is it ducted or does it just blow straight out?

Standard. It is ducted through one vent in the bathroom, one in kitchen and one towards rear couch/bed

Is the fridge automatic switching and will it light itself?

I don't quite follow your question

Can you give me an idea of the milage you get towing and what you're towing with?
I get around 14 miles per gallon with my Toyota Tacoma, V6,automatic,4WD

TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #3

Thanks Tom. I meant will the fridge automatically switch from propane to AC power when the trailer is plugged in and visa versa when the trailer is unplugged? Also, do you have to light the pilot light or is it a self igniting system?

Same with the water heater. Is it a DSI water heater or do you have to light the pilot with a match?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #4

Smile

in my 1996 the frig does not switch over its self you have to do it. and the furnace is self ignition act least mine does, and the water heater you have to light the pilot light.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I don't know what year they started with auto ones but my 2209 does all automatically.
My 95 TowLite is manual
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
in my 1996 the frig does not switch over its self you have to do it. and the furnace is self ignition act least mine does, and the water heater you have to light the pilot light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
I don't know what year they started with auto ones but my 2209 does all automatically.
My 95 TowLite is manual
Thanks both of you. I know the classics came with most of the upgrades already installed so many thing were standard verses the towlites that you would have the option to upgrade to the DSI water heater from the manual light one, etc. I just don't know if this 96 classic had that or not. I have had trouble with a manual light fridge on my casita. It would always light, it just took several minutes of holding in the button.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #7

My 95 T runs on 12V, 110 AC or gas, you have to turn the control manually to each position. On gas as long as the range has been lite first and then turned off the fridg lights the pilot with 1 or 2 pushes on the piezo lighter and the button can be let go of after about 10 seconds., all done inside the trailer. You must have 12 V power for the circuit board. The gas water heater pilot has to be lite with a match outside the trailer. The furnace is auto just turn it on, but also requires 12 V to operate.
Hope this explains it better.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #8

Default MPG towing 22 foot Classic

I get about 20 mpg towing my HiLo with a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins diesel, 6 speed manual transmission. I can't even tell that it's back there. I love my truck!
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
Thanks Tom. I meant will the fridge automatically switch from propane to AC power when the trailer is plugged in and visa versa when the trailer is unplugged? Also, do you have to light the pilot light or is it a self igniting system?

Same with the water heater. Is it a DSI water heater or do you have to light the pilot with a match?
No, the fridge does not automatically switch from propane to AC. There is a switch on the fridge for what type of power you wish to run on. That is gas,AC or DC power. As far as igniting the fridge for gas, there is a push button on the fridge itself to light pilot. For the water heater, there is a switch on the wall that all you due is turn it on and pilot lights automatically. Furnace is just like your home unit with a thermostat on the wall.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #10

Do you own this trailer or are you thinking of buying? To the point why the questions?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
No, the fridge does not automatically switch from propane to AC. There is a switch on the fridge for what type of power you wish to run on. That is gas,AC or DC power. As far as igniting the fridge for gas, there is a push button on the fridge itself to light pilot. For the water heater, there is a switch on the wall that all you due is turn it on and pilot lights automatically. Furnace is just like your home unit with a thermostat on the wall.
Thanks again Tom. My 96 Lance had an auto fridge and the DSI water heater while my 96 Casita had a manual. I remember having a bear of a time lighting the manual fridge.
Quote:
Do you own this trailer or are you thinking of buying? To the point why the questions?
I missed out on a 92 towlite for $2000. While grumbling to myself, I found a 96 classic at a dealer for $8000. Nadaguides claims the high retail is 3300 so I am going to go see if we can work a deal. I am just waiting for the wiring and brake controller to come in for my tundra. So in a round about way of answering, I am ooking to buy but want to find out more about the trailer before I travel 250 miles to look at it.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #12

Totally understand, hope some of the answers helped some. Classic models of the 90 ty's are better built than the Tow-Lites, the Tow-Lites have wooden framing, not a problem if they were taken care of, but they get framing damage from water leaks. I believe the Classics have metal framing. Call J R repair, You can find there info in this forum, they are the original HI-LO Repair place. From what other people say they are very helpful, I was there many years ago, and they helped me with parts and questions. They can probably confirm the metal framing.

I wish a forum like this had existed when I bought our 95 T, when we first looked at it all the manuals were in the trailer but a month later when the dealer finally came down on the price, some one had taken all the manuals. Dealer showed us that everything worked but then we were on our own. It had problems that we found the hard way cause we had no idea what to look for. Hope it works out for you, keep asking questions. The right people to answer aren't always looking in the forum.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

Thanks! I have seen J&R referenced and if/when I need parts, they are the go to folks from what I've read. The classics have the steel frame and the towlights had a wooden frame till the corugated sidewalls were changed out to smooth sides in the mid ninties. Then the towlights went to an aluminum frame. I have been doing my homework.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #14

You probably now know more that the dealer selling the trailer.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
TJM

Quote:
Totally understand, hope some of the answers helped some. Classic models of the 90 ty's are better built than the Tow-Lites, the Tow-Lites have wooden framing, not a problem if they were taken care of, but they get framing damage from water leaks. I believe the Classics have metal framing. Call J R repair, You can find there info in this forum, they are the original HI-LO Repair place. From what other people say they are very helpful, I was there many years ago, and they helped me with parts and questions. They can probably confirm the metal framing.

I wish a forum like this had existed when I bought our 95 T, when we first looked at it all the manuals were in the trailer but a month later when the dealer finally came down on the price, some one had taken all the manuals. Dealer showed us that everything worked but then we were on our own. It had problems that we found the hard way cause we had no idea what to look for. Hope it works out for you, keep asking questions. The right people to answer aren't always looking in the forum.
My 1996 22'Hi-Lo has plywood in the roof but I believe the sides are steel framing.