Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Exclamation '76 hi-lo electrical help!!!!

Just bougt a nice little HI-lo I have no clue how to operate it I cannot find a switch to raise or lower it.Have installed a new battey can some one heelp me It came with no paper work. Can someone help please?

Bikertrash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #2

What is your model trailer? Size?

Here is a manual posted in the reference library section for a 1977 25 foot trailer.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...7-2577-a-1117/

I noticed that there was also a brochure for the 1977 trailers.

The trailer general design didn't change much over the years, so another years's manual may provide some helpful information for you.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #3

Biker,

After looking in the attached 1977 Owner's Manual, it reads like the Raising/Lowering switch is in basically the same location that is is in our 1970 Hi-Lo.
In our rig, adjacent the door, on the end side of the goucho couch, we have a little cabinet door (5" X 5"). Inside is a spring loaded toggle switch... up to raise, down to lower, springs back to the middle position when done. A finger loop for the hydraulic ram safety bar release cable comes up through the floor just below the switch. Assuming the bar is operating properly, you will not be able to lower the roof half without first pulling the cable to release the safety bar.

If not the same as the above description, please let us know how and where yours is different.

Good luck,
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Biker,

Two more things regarding an older Hi-Lo with which you don't know the usage or maintenance history, before you raise the roof the first time:

First, it would be VERY prudent to climb underneath and check the condition of the cables. Lubricate and replace any that are seriously corroded, or frayed at any of the connection/fitting points. Your local rigging company can help you with this, if a former Hi-Lo dealer can't be found in your area.

Second, definitely DO NOT position yourself inside the trailer when raising or lowering it. Hi-Lo's are designed so you should be able to stand outside and operate the switch with ONLY your arm sticking in through the door. Also a good idea to keep your hands away from any of the sliding surfaces.

Actually, you live close enough to Butler, OH, to drag it up to the Hi-Li repair folks and have them check it out. They can inspect and repair if needed.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
sam

Default 76 HiLo

Bikertrash welcome to the HiLo forum. I was going to tell you to inspect and lube before you try to raise the HILo. The guys on the forum and very experienced and good with advice. Jr repair is in Butler,Ohio.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Bikertrash,

I will add another problem you need to be aware of with that early year model. When you are out camping [drydocking] and try to use your freshwater tank 12volt water pump, there is one thing you should be aware of that took me two years to resolve.

On that particular model, they took the return ground wire from the water pump and 'screwed it into the floor! [Wood will conduct electricity AC or DC]. Everything worked fine until we went camping in an area where we were drydocking and the humidity was very low [like Colorado in the mouintains, in the summer], then for no reason, your water pump does not work. I would suggest you check this right away. If the return ground is screwed into the plywood floor, take a wire of sufficient size and splice onto the pump ground wire and secure it to a metal part of the frame. Problem resolved.

Enjoy your unit and good luck.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
2406T

!
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
What is your model trailer? Size?

Here is a manual posted in the reference library section for a 1977 25 foot trailer.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...7-2577-a-1117/

I noticed that there was also a brochure for the 1977 trailers.

The trailer general design didn't change much over the years, so another years's manual may provide some helpful information for you.
Thanks that helped out alot after I found the switch she jumped right up.Wow was I ever happy,super nice little '17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05850.jpg (95.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05845.jpg (96.8 KB, 27 views)

Bikertrash59 is offline   Reply With Quote