Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Accident with our 2002 Hi-Lo Classic

We were camping last Thursday and had planned to camp for 4 days, but because of a monsoon that hit Michigan, we cancelled our reservations and headed back home. We got all the way home, but when hubby was backing up the trailer, he jacknifed and the truck crushed the window area, shattering the front window. Now we're stuck with trying to find someone to replace the front window for a trailer that is no longer made. We tried calling J & R several times, but they aren't returning our calls. I don't know if they are still in business, on vacation, or what. Has anyone had dealing with them in 2021?

Annieh522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Keep trying. They are still around. You might try the email route. Good luck.

Ph 740-392-1600 Fax 740-392-1333 email jrrepair@centurylink.net

Also try the link below.

https://hilotrailerparts.webs.com/apps/webstore/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:48 AM   #3

Default So sorry to here about your accident.

Email J&R. Summer time is prime time for any repair place. Does just the window need to be replaced or is their damage to the area around the window?
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:59 AM   #4

There is a little damage under the window, and the rock guard is damaged. I'll keep trying J&R. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2021, 06:00 AM   #5

Thanks for your reply. I will keep trying.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

I retrieved my 2509 from them a month ago. Granted that they are hard to get a hold of but keep calling. They aren't too good about returning calls but you will eventually hit paydirt. They aren't there before 9 a.m. I found out and I know that Rob has several other irons in the fire. They did excellent work on my unit but you will have to get in line - I had my camper there for over 6 months before they could work it into the schedule, but when they got done it was better than new. Their email, should you want it, is jrrepair@centurnlink.net.
jedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #7

Rob Laher and Jim Seals did repairs to our Hi-Lo at their place of business (13230 Wooster Rd, Mount Vernon, Ohio) in August 2019 and we were very satisfied. I have contacted Rob several times for parts over the years since we got our new unit in 2009 and he has always come through. Keep the faith! But I have his e-mail as jandrhilo@gmail.com. Beach
But also try jrrepair@centurylink.net
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:56 PM   #8

Thank you for your reply. J & R replied to my e-mail today, and it looks as though they will be able to help us. I'm just waiting on our insurance estimator to come this Monday, then we plan on bringing the Hi-Lo to Ohio.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
Site Team

This is all too little, too late, but if you can stand some advice about backing with a trailer, here's what I've learned over the 14 years I've had mine.

First, NEVER be in a hurry! Take it slow and don't hesitate to get out and check what's going on behind you as you proceed. This is even with a "spotter". Nothing substitutes for first hand knowledge!

Second, don't turn the tow vehicle's nose more than to about the 1:00 o'clock or 11:00 o'clock positions when you are trying to set the trailer into a different direction. This amount is what you need to start the trailer in a turn without introducing jackknifing.

Third, straighten the wheel in your tow vehicle as soon as you see the trailer curving ALMOST as much as you think it needs to turn. You can always make SMALL adjustments to refine it's direction after that. With the trailer in the turn, you will have to turn the bottom of the steering wheel AWAY from the trailer's turn direction to follow the trailer and keep it from turning more.

Fourth, don't hesitate to stop backing and pull forward if things aren't working quite right. A do-over is a lot better than running into something or jackknifing severely.

I just had to back my trailer up into my driveway (a fairly steep hill) and into its shelter after coming home from a fire evacuation here in Aridzona. It involves guiding the trailer first to the left and then right and then back left again to line up with the shelter and avoid dropping off a steep embankment into ditch about 10 feet down and running into a wall and steep hill on the other side. It took me about 5-10 minutes and involved a couple pull-forwards. I took my time.

- Jack
Old 06-30-2021, 05:58 AM   #10

Thanks, Jack! I will have my husband read your post to ensure this doesn't happen again. He's usually pretty good at backing up, but I think he just got careless this time.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #11

Default Don't feelbad abot accident.

I was camping and a guy with a fifth wheel had a tree across the road that made it tight to get into his spot. He got the front of his fifth wheel in contact with his back truck window. Pow!! loud smash. The president of our camping club did the same thing when he had a fifth wheel. We had the seals and other work done at J&R.. Completed everything on our repair list and did a few small extras. Would defenitely use them again.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:43 PM   #12
Site Team

I just want to agree with Usagi5678's title in the last post. I've run into things twice while backing the trailer back when it was new to me. Also banged my former truck up twice too, because I was paying too much attention to the trailer and not enough on the truck while backing. And, I've done some other bonehead things from being in a hurry. It happens, we learn.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #13

Thank you for your kind words. I feel better knowing J&R can fix it. We will be taking it to Ohio this Tuesday. I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply to my post. I feel confident J&R will fix our trailer, and hopefully, we will be able to camp some time this year.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #14

Annieh522:

Sorry to hear about the accident. I don't know if this will help but I am rebuilding our 1996 Funlight 26 FLBR after the two screws holding the the left front top frame side rusted away and collapsed the front fiberglass below the front window ....well, needless to say, it was a growing mess. The upshot is that my wife did not want the front window reinstalled and so I have been trying to sell it to someone rebuilding trailers. The window may or may not fit your unit but it measures 61" X 19.5" black frame to black frame and the glass is 59" X 17". Because we don't need the window, the fiberglass window awning (64.25" X 23.25") is also not needed.
Anyway, just a thought.
Kerry
kerryandbets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #15

Default Try This for Backing Trailer

This might just save a rise in blood pressure.
I tow with a 2007 F 150 Super Crew. When I want to put the trailer in its home or park in a tight spot I unhitch, turn the truck around so the nose of the truck is at the hitch and just hook up to a after market front receiver hitch. You see where you want to go and don't have to turn the wheel as much. Works great.
ibe1of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #16

Default They replied quickly to my email

Hi, if you haven’t gotten through to J and R yet you might want to try contacting them by email at jandrhilo@gmail.com

Rob replied quickly to my email about doing work on my trailer.
Beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
Hi, if you haven’t gotten through to J and R yet you might want to try contacting them by email at jandrhilo@gmail.com

Rob replied quickly to my email about doing work on my trailer.
I was able to reach J&R through the e-mail address. Our Hi-Lo is now at J&R, waiting to be fixed. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibe1of2 View Post
This might just save a rise in blood pressure.
I tow with a 2007 F 150 Super Crew. When I want to put the trailer in its home or park in a tight spot I unhitch, turn the truck around so the nose of the truck is at the hitch and just hook up to a after market front receiver hitch. You see where you want to go and don't have to turn the wheel as much. Works great.
Thanks for the tip! Great idea!
Old 07-09-2021, 06:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryandbets View Post
Annieh522:

Sorry to hear about the accident. I don't know if this will help but I am rebuilding our 1996 Funlight 26 FLBR after the two screws holding the the left front top frame side rusted away and collapsed the front fiberglass below the front window ....well, needless to say, it was a growing mess. The upshot is that my wife did not want the front window reinstalled and so I have been trying to sell it to someone rebuilding trailers. The window may or may not fit your unit but it measures 61" X 19.5" black frame to black frame and the glass is 59" X 17". Because we don't need the window, the fiberglass window awning (64.25" X 23.25") is also not needed.
Anyway, just a thought.
Kerry
Thanks for the offer, but our Hi-Lo is already at J&R. I don't think your window would fit, as our trailer is a 29 footer. J&R said they will order a new window made our of polycarb material cut to fit the window area perfectly. Again, thank you for your reply!