Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

Default Check for new used Hi-Lo

I purchased a new 1508 Hi-Lo. It has been in storage since purchase by the original owner. So far I found a broken strainer to the fresh water pump. Must have been broken at installation. I have greased the hydraulic ram and lubricated the pulleys and checked the tire pressure. I winterized the fresh water system, just to be safe. The group 24 battery seems to be OK but I plan on replacing it with two group 27's. The wheel bearings should be OK. I towed it home, about 40 miles and the hubs were cool. The brakes worked great. If there is some other items I should check, please let me know.

Thanks,

Johnnie

Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #2

Besides lubricating the pulleys, spray lub the cables. The broken strainer most likely had some water left in it an it froze and broke. Happened to me. If it is not stored inside, get a cover such as a Adco. It will keep it looking good and help slow the hardening and cracking of the sealing material on the seams and around windows and the door.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have it stored in my garage. That's the beauty of a Hi-Lo.

Johnnie
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

Default Check...

Check batteries in smoke alarms and replace. Buy some of those rodent traps that have the sticky stuff in them to catch any mice that come aboard for the long winter. Spray for ants around the tires and any jack stand or cable that contacts the floor. Cover any vents that a wasp can build a nest in--it's happened to me. Hook a battery Minder to your 12 volt battery or a solar panel to keep the battery charged.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

Just used a glue trap for the first time. Caught two mice! When I checked the trap, one was dead and the other very much alive, wiggling and squirming and squeeking in total terror. That's enough for me, I'm going back to the guillotine style trap!
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

The glue has poison in it but they die very slowly. I too used the glue traps only once. I don't want mice in my trailers but I don't want them to suffer. The plastic clamp style work great, they are easy to set, won't hurt your fingers and they have enough pressure to kill the mice but not enough to cut them so they bleed. Build a better mouse trap...
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #7

Please tell me about your solar battery tender system.Where did you locate the panels? How did you rate the panel output and where did you buy it?

bob hirsch is offline   Reply With Quote