Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Default Does UVW include the hitch?

I read somewhere that hitches weigh 300 lbs? Is that accurate? If so, is this weight included in the UVW weight that is on the sticker? I spoke with Rob at J&R Repair and he said that anything that was in the trailer when it left the factory floor is included in the weight of the trailer. Didn't think to ask him about the hitch.

Thanks,
Cheryl
who is really hoping that the hitch is included in the UVW because 300lbs sure takes out a big chunk of my cargo capability...

inthepink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If you mean the WDH, no that is and add on.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

No, I don't think so. I am talking about whatever hitch is on the trailer. The one that everyone says, "hi-lo length is measured from the front of the hitch to the tip of the bumper".
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

No, I don't think so. I am talking about whatever hitch is on the trailer. The one that everyone says, "hi-lo length is measured from the front of the hitch to the end of the bumper".
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #5

Default cargo capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepink View Post
I read somewhere that hitches weigh 300 lbs? Is that accurate? If so, is this weight included in the UVW weight that is on the sticker? I spoke with Rob at J&R Repair and he said that anything that was in the trailer when it left the factory floor is included in the weight of the trailer. Didn't think to ask him about the hitch.

Thanks,
Cheryl
who is really hoping that the hitch is included in the UVW because 300lbs sure takes out a big chunk of my cargo capability...
Hi Cheryl, the "Load Distribution" portion of your hitch probably won't weigh more than sixty or seventy pounds. The receiver portion of your hitch should be included in the gross weight of your tow vehicle, if the vehicle is factory equipped for towing. With the late model vehicles, it is not a good idea to try to modify them for towing. Too many things that need to be modified. ie: heavy duty springs and shocks, heavy duty transmission, with HD oil cooler, factory installed wiring for trailer lights and brakes, etc.

Hope this helps
Richard
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

Default Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepink View Post
No, I don't think so. I am talking about whatever hitch is on the trailer. The one that everyone says, "hi-lo length is measured from the front of the hitch to the end of the bumper".
The length is actuall measured from the tip of the trailer tongue to the rear bumper.

Richard
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Site Team

And, in case you're getting confused by now Cheryl, the tongue IS included in the UVW of the trailer. A weight distributing hitch, which is what you mount into the receiver on your tow vehicle (the square tube) weighs probably in the neighborhood of 70#, if it's like my Equal-I-Zer (which is one of the heaviest ones). There are others that weigh less. This weight is not applied to the trailer. It is carried by your tow vehicle.

- Jack