Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #1

Question Front window cover

Hello, new to the forum and looks like a nice place. We bought a 1992 26 Voyager to clean up and perform some tlc. As we towed it home the 125 miles (tows beautifly) I kept waiting for a rock to take out the front window. Is there suppose to be a cover for towing? I see no trace of there ever being one. Are they expensive? Fixing a couple leaks in the upper side walls, I think from where there use to be a awning. Silicone or caulk??? I am thinking about removing windows one by one to reseal properly. lots of different sealants on them so would like to do it right and only do it once. Thanks

travelingsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #2

Default Front window cover

I don't know why Hi-Lo decided to go with the exposed window. I have one of my bubble levels break about once a year, from rock strikes, and am happy that my '89 has a window cover. A friend of mine, with an Airstream, had to wait about a year for them to ship him a replacement front window for his trailer. He travels off the pavement, like I do, looking for trout.
There's got to be way to fit a bra on these later model trailers, like those used on the front of cars, to take the rock strikes.

firemarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #3

I think your trailer should have a cover over the front window. Check on this forum for factory hi-lo replacement parts.

You could try to find a universal aftermarket one or an used one off another make of trailer. Trim down the frame to fit your window and replace the fiberglass panel to a more appealling piece of black plastic from TAP PLASTICS.com , there might be a store near you.

Check out on this forum, Modifications/Fantastic fan/sealing tape & caulking.

This caulking works the best for me, but it is a little harder to work with . I use gloves & clean up with citrus base solvent GOO GONE. They sale the caulking on AMAZON.com if you can't find it locally. Home Depot also sales a 50 year POLYURETHANE.

Les 97 21ft. towlite
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Ditto, plus the fact that we've had some MONGO sized bugs, and even a bird whack the side portions of our front cover. I don't know that these guys would have broken the window, but they sure made a mess. A mess I rather have on the rock guard/window shade, that on the window itself.
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #5

Default Thanks Everybody

I will go to Tap plastics and check out HTF further!
travelingsoon is offline   Reply With Quote