Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
TJM

Default Good-bye Hi-Lo

Well, after a 5,000 mile trip, out to the West Coast, that was cut short by tornadoes to our home in Ballwin (St. Louis) Missouri, on our way home, we hit quite a hail storm. Insurance company looked at our unit today and classified it as a total loss. Needs a new roof and there is delamination in the left wall. We has sustained hail damage last spring and the insurance company said there was no damage. Well, thyey were wrong. With the trailer sitting over the winter, damage showed up. There is perforation in the rood that has allowed for roof damage and delamination to the left rear wall. This last hail storm did it in. We are going to keep and seel the trailer for $2,300.00 Interior is very clean, everything works, has brand new awning(used one time). Tires have 10,000 miles on them. Anyone interested, contact us. Tom and Judy 636-391-6911 Unit is a 1996, 22' Hi-Lo

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
sam

Default Hail damaged HiLo

Sorry to hear your HiLo got damaged by hail. Maybe someone handy will fix it up. Did you have any damage to your house? Back in 1988 we had a huge hailstorm that lasted 15 min. The hail was the size of tennis balls. It turned out to be the best 15min.of my life as we got 21thousand$ from our home owners ins. It trashed the aluminum siding on our house,roof,central air conditioner ect. I was blessed to find a top notch siding/roofer and the house is better than the pre storm. Many people got taken to the cleaners by their ins. co. I hope you are able to get another HiLo. My experience in life is that good always comes out of bad situations.!!

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
TJM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Sorry to hear your HiLo got damaged by hail. Maybe someone handy will fix it up. Did you have any damage to your house? Back in 1988 we had a huge hailstorm that lasted 15 min. The hail was the size of tennis balls. It turned out to be the best 15min.of my life as we got 21thousand$ from our home owners ins. It trashed the aluminum siding on our house,roof,central air conditioner ect. I was blessed to find a top notch siding/roofer and the house is better than the pre storm. Many people got taken to the cleaners by their ins. co. I hope you are able to get another HiLo. My experience in life is that good always comes out of bad situations.!!
Thank you for the words of wisdom. Yeah, we had damage, but nothing that can't be fixed. Our son,daughter in law and granddaughter in Dallas, got hit by hail on the 11th of April, $16,000 damage. This is the 3rd time this year we have been hit by a torbado. Guess that is expected when you live in "Tornado Alley"
Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #4

TJM,
We're sorry for the turmoil in your lives, as you're dealing with hail damage to your HiLo, and tornado damage to your house. As well as the disappointment of cutting short your much anticipated trip. Hopefully your immediate needs of safe shelter have been met. Is your house livable?
We empathize with all you're having to deal with. Thirty years ago, when we lived in Wyoming, our house sustained damage from hail. The following summer, our house was damaged by a tornado ( yes, a tornado in Wyoming). Fortunately, Frank was in the air force, and we were able to move into a house on base. I was in the house with our two preschool age kids when the tornado hit, so it was many months before we recovered emotionally.
I hope you find a buyer quickly for your HiLo, but hope you'll reconsider and buy another HiLo. We would miss you on this forum.
Carol
Old 05-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #5

Hi Tom,

We both agree with Carol, in that we would miss your contributions to the HTF. Even if you decide to replace your Hi-Lo with another (lesser) brand, please stay with us!

Meanwhile, Godspeed in resolving the burden your carrying at present. Our prayers are with you.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
TJM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Yes, house now is fine, just some cosmetic damages we are still working on. Hi-Lo is a total, due to cost of repairing. As a matter of fact, ny wife and I are going to the storage lot today to finish emptying everything out of it. By the way, i have a set of McKesh mirrors (that I just bought prior to our last trip)for $130.00 that I will sell for a "right) price. I was really impressed with these mirrors. Also, have a Reese asssembly I am going to sell.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #7

Hi Tom,

Reads like your throwing in the towel as far as trailering goes. Please say it ain't so.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Hi Tom,

Reads like your throwing in the towel as far as trailering goes. Please say it ain't so.

Jim
Kinda,sorta.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #9

TJM,
I am a newcomer here to the forum but I know the heartbreak of losing something you've worked hard for and enjoy. The only reason we are Hi-Lo owners was an unusual hail storm here in Colorado last year. My wife and I never got a vacation last year because we got 2 hailstorms within 10 days. The first was a week before Memorial day last year with about 1" around. The second one happened about a week later. After the first adjustment was made. The total was around $19,000+. After the new roof was on, I proceded to do what work I could to save money. Luckily the windows weren't broken but the moulding around them (vynul windows) was all broken. To make a long story short I am retired but spent the rest of summer replacing mouldings, painting, re-calking and geting the house ready as we are trying to sell it. My truck got hail also as well as the popup camper on it. I took all the money from insurance checks and put it in savings and had enough left over after paying the roofers, new gutters etc.by doing the rest of the work myself, to buy our 2001 TL Hi-Lo. We found it on craigslist for just a little over $7K. I guess what I'm trying to say is hang in there if possible. The people as well as the informqation I've gotten on the forum are worth the struggle. Good luck to you whatever your decision.
Jay
JnJaneReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
TJM

Hello to All!!! Our Hi-Lo is gone. We have a set of McKesh mirrors and a weight distribution Reese hitch that we are selling for $250.00 total. Mirrors worked great on our 2001 Tacoma