Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

Default HI all Just got my hi lo 1992 19ft question

Just went and check everthing -- a/c works ,heater works,water pump. The only problem is my frig. nothing on a/c or propane.Enybody got any hints ?.I love the hi-lo -- i have a large t/t but this is going to be great.The big trailer is history.
Thanks
David

David4615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
sam

Default Ref. not working

You can call JR Repair in Ohio.Many on this forum have used them for repairs and parts. Excellent customer service. 419-8831-3001. I hate to give you bad news.It is possible that the ref. is shot due to its age. Ours worked one season and the next season it didn~t,smelled like amonia. Replacements are available. Ours came with a three yr. waranty.Keep us posted.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #3

It could be as simple as not getting 12v to the refrig. Without 12v going to the refrig control panel, nothing will work - propane or 110v. This happened to my 2001 last year. There are generally two breakers near your battery. One is for the refrig. Check that out with a voltmeter for 12v power coming and going. If that is ok then take the vented cover off the lower half of the trailer behind the refrig. There will be a fuse holder toward the floor. Check out that fuse. Always use an ohm meter to check out fuses. They may look good but are not. An ohm meter never lies. There is supposedly another fuse that runs along the left side of the refrig (while viewing from the outside) that goes up to the refrig control panel. Usually it is "foamed in" with spray insulation from the factory and you cannot find it easily (so I have been told). I couldn't find it on mine. What I did was to run a seperate fused 12v wire directly from my battery to the 12v junction block behind the refrig. This took care of my problem and my refrig has run perfectly ever since. Hope that this helps.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #4

David,

BTW, welcome to the Forum! Keep those good questions coming... we all learn, or at least have our memories refreshed, when a new Hi-Lo owner wants to learn the best way to operate their trailer.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
sam

Default David 4615 -Welcome to the forum1

Where do you live,city State? The reason I am asking is because if someone lives near you they might be willing to make a house call and help you. HiLo
owners are very friendly and helpful. My husbands brother calls our trailer a
Low Boy.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #6

Thanks for all the helpful tip's. I am going to try this next weekend to look at the frig.I am in Wylie Texas about 25 miles east of Dallas. The temp right now is 16 degrees out and the camper will have to wait for some warmer weather.It is nice to have people that will help you out when you need it.Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
sam

Default Texas Hi-Lo camping club

Tejas Hi-Lo-fers Chapter 1,Gary Adams. Does anyone have an e-mail adress or phone # of the contact person? David this might help you with your Hi-Lo questions/problems. We have a Hi-Lo club in Ny and it is a blast.!!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David4615 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful tip's. I am going to try this next weekend to look at the frig.I am in Wylie Texas about 25 miles east of Dallas. The temp right now is 16 degrees out and the camper will have to wait for some warmer weather.It is nice to have people that will help you out when you need it.Thanks
Something to keep in mind {in case you (or other that find this thread) aren't familiar with rv type fridge} there is no "pump" or compressor, it uses a heat generating source, to heat amonia that circulates and produces cold. I would definitely take the back cover (outside) off and check for yellow stains and stuff on the pipes on the back of the fridge. then pest (mud dobbers) in the flu.

you have tried both once you have lights on the front of the fridge that work, if the panel has lights. if no lights, see nex paragraph...

Most newer fridges have electronic circuitry (front panel with lights) that MUST have the 12v wire connected to a "good" battery. my older fridge didnt have this problem, if it had gas or 120v it would work everytime, as long as the flame lit on gas anyway. Another possible is sort of mentioned above (needing a good battery) this is part 2 as Some (NOTE I SAID SOME, MINE doesnt have it) Hilo's seem to have a MASTER switch at or near the lifting the top button, and it has 2 or possibly 3 positions -->

1 one is everything off,
2 another is on to fridge /everything else off,
3 then last is on for camping.

Check around forums, or try all settings, since I dont know up down left or right positions for the switches.
Lastly there is a fuse on mine on the back of fridge, that I noticed, you might have one as well.

once you have lights on the panel (again if eqquiped) try both on gas for a while, then on AC. AC "burner" have been known to burn out, and can be replaced, and the Propane part of the fridge might not light, it has electronic spark ignitor.

It can take a few (4 or more?) hours to get fridge to even feel like cooling, sometimes a fridge only unit has a "cold spot" that is like a mini freezer, you feel that shelf like thing get cold pretty soon.

FWIW mine is the Dometic RM2611, it has fridge and Frezer doors, freezer works, and you can tell in about an hour, but the Fridge side will not work. or works once in a while. I have been told by dozens of people from online repair shops, that it was the pipes on the back that get heated (called the cooling unit), one person said try the improved curcuit board called and made by "Dinosaur".

hope the above is clear enough to help instead of confuse, sorry... :P
Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #9

Well i am getting closer to fixing the frig. --- I think. I took the back panel off and found the 12volt fuse.The fuse tested good but when i cleaned the connections off and put it back together there is power. I can fell the heat coming off the vent in the back. It does not seem to be cooling much or any -- not sure. It is making a clunk? sound now and then so -- maybe the charge is gone ?

Thanks for all the help

David
Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

IMHO hard to diagnose from here, but the clunk could be, there is on many Hilo's I see, an exhaust fan, since our flues dont go out the top of the camper. They are pretty much a Computer case fan, and seem to have a sensor with it. check these forums, there are several post about this fridge fan.

Like I said earlier, it takes quite a bit, to feel the cold "shelves" in the fridge, becuase it isn't pumped freon in our fridges... (course our fridges are soo dang expensive, it is not out of the question that someone like me might replace this 3 way fride with a large college dorm type fridge, since when the familiy and I go camping, and need a fridge, we're also running AC, so we're renting electric campsites. when i do my boondocking/motocycle campings, I use coolers to keep stuff instead of the fridge.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
TJM

Quote:
Just went and check everthing -- a/c works ,heater works,water pump. The only problem is my frig. nothing on a/c or propane.Enybody got any hints ?.I love the hi-lo -- i have a large t/t but this is going to be great.The big trailer is history.
Thanks
David
If it's loke our 1996, 22' Hi-Lo there is a 15 amp fuse outside through your fridge access door
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
TJM

Quote:
Well i am getting closer to fixing the frig. --- I think. I took the back panel off and found the 12volt fuse.The fuse tested good but when i cleaned the connections off and put it back together there is power. I can fell the heat coming off the vent in the back. It does not seem to be cooling much or any -- not sure. It is making a clunk? sound now and then so -- maybe the charge is gone ?

Thanks for all the help

David
Trailer must be level also
Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
Trailer must be level also
HI David
It also takes hours for the frig to cool down. Are you running it on gas or Elec? Give it time to cool down and then switch power if you have both. As Tom said it does need to be level. JIM
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #14

You might want to place some cold/frozen items in the fridge to help it along. It will take forever to cool down with nothing in it. Try placing a small bag of ice or some cold cans of pop (soda) or beer in the unit to help it cool down.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #15

Place a thermometer inside, turn on the unit and let it sit overnight and see if you get a temperature drop and how low the temperature is. If everything is working okay you should see a drop in temperature within the first hour.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
You might want to place some cold/frozen items in the fridge to help it along. It will take forever to cool down with nothing in it. Try placing a small bag of ice or some cold cans of pop (soda) or beer in the unit to help it cool down.
I fill the crisper drawer with ice to help get it cooled off.

vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote