Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Leveling side to side

My 1508t trailer is slightly lower on the right side. It has been winterized and the tanks are empty. The fresh water tank and hot water tank are both on the left front of the trailer. I have checked the air in the tires and they both have the required pressure. I am assuming since the fresh water and hot water tanks are empty that that could account for the slight tilt. Have I made a good assumption?

Thanks

Johnnie

Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
My 1508t trailer is slightly lower on the right side. It has been winterized and the tanks are empty. The fresh water tank and hot water tank are both on the left front of the trailer. I have checked the air in the tires and they both have the required pressure. I am assuming since the fresh water and hot water tanks are empty that that could account for the slight tilt. Have I made a good assumption?

Thanks

Johnnie
That COULD be, but I've never noticed any "tilt" in my trailer. Are you sure the surface you've parked the trailer on is absolutely level side to side?

- Jack

Old 12-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #3

It is in the garage and the low side is in the center of the garage. I also noticed it in the driveway. I am not too concerned because it is a slight tilt. The top is all away down on the stops. I guess I'll just wait and check it after the tanks are filled. I didn't notice it when I pulled it home. About 50 miles.

Johnnie
Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #4

Could be tire size or tire pressure causing the problem but more than likely it is a weak or broken spring or bad shackle bushings. If it is a spring or bushing it will be relatively easy and inexpensive to fix.
RogerWYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
It is in the garage and the low side is in the center of the garage. I also noticed it in the driveway. I am not too concerned because it is a slight tilt. The top is all away down on the stops. I guess I'll just wait and check it after the tanks are filled. I didn't notice it when I pulled it home. About 50 miles.

Johnnie
my $.01

I dont think it sounds much like an issue but then again what I see as I read your description could be different than reality, but I think for the "tilt" to be perceptable, it would be worth checking a few things to see why.

Does the floor (with a level) seem to be off as much as the roof? and have you checked the campers inside on the floor (thus proving that the floor is as level as the ground it is on, then measure on top the roof with same level. If floor is level but roof isnt when down, Im still not sure there is cause for alarm either. and certainly, the tanks would be offset with storage area's weight when ready to camp, but again I cant tell you that from here? I would only be worried that something is wrong with springs or axels, more to my point, is something comming loose?

Oh and before you panic about loose suspension, due to me thinking at time I typed this pose, FWIW, my hilo has pads where roof comes down to the stops, some are more worn than others. I assume from a cable out of adjustment so when it is down maybe not resting all the weight on that pad like the others had?

Back to my original slim as it is theory, I thought of one barely plausable thing... IF wheels/tires and everything else are perfect match, knowing that different brands/tire models even, can have different depths of tread, from MFG... Meaning one brand of tire might have 8/10ths of tread when new, another might have 6/10ths inch of tread, which also wears off slightly slower for same (if rated same mileage lasting?) which I guess could explain the possible lean (although, I think tread differences, would be so slight I cant imagine it being very perceptable?) So you have to find the one place that is level when on level surface, then see why other things are not level, least I would want to know? My camper has 4 wheels, so the likely hood (I believe) with people tighter budgets like me, if I had a flat, I might buy 2 tires, not 4... if the 2 I bought weren't exaclty same brand, PLUS the wear of old tires... seems like a slim thread to wonder about... but that is how I roll,,,

Maybe the roof has had repairs?

Maybe you noticed but didnt tell us, but does it look tilted when fully up? Even then it might just been built that way, where something slipped when screwed or welded together and no body told the person that inspects upon final assembly... but just doesnt seem right, I would also be wondering why if the heck it IS NOT level...

Half heartedly I think a slight lean wouldnt be bad, keep water from pooling on top, ya know?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

If you can measure up from the axle to the bottom of the frame on both sides that should tell you if there is a difference with the suspension. Being a 2008 model it has the rubber suspension as opposed to the older spring and shackle suspension. There could be a possibility that something changed there. Maybe while you are at it, check the tires to see if they are wearing evenly. There could have been some type of road damage that bent something out of alignment.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I'll check them out before I go on any trips. This trailer supposedly was purchased in 2008 and then put in storage and never used. I have only pulled it about 50 miles. The tires are the optional 15 inch tire and the pressure in both is 50 lbs. There is no ware on the pads that hold the top. I'll have to wait awhile before I can take it out of the garage to do some more measuring and inspection. Health issues and weather.

Again thanks for the replies.

Johnnie