Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Default Low Sewer Pipes

Hi all,

I have another question for the group. My 1991 Funlite has very little clearance in the back on the drivers side due to the low hanging sewer pipes. Just a few inches. The clearance is so small in fact that just backing my camper into the small grade of a standard driveway causes some major scraping. Anybody have a novel fix for this, or is it just something I'll have to deal with?

Thanks

Kirk

Kirkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

The low hanging pipes were a problem. If you don't have a skid mounted to protect the pipes you may want to fabricate and install one, the later models had them. They help some but don't do anything to increase the under-clearance. You may want to consider jacking up the frame a few inches. My wife's cousin DaveL did that with his Towlite and it mad a noticeable difference. Look in this post for his description of what he did.
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f26/jacked-up-hilo-241/

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

You might be able to raise the drain/sewer pipes by adjusting the hanger straps. However, YOU MUST MAINTAIN THE DOWNWARD SLOPE of the pipes for them to drain the tanks properly. Get under your unit and place a level on the pipes to see if you can raise them and still maintain the proper angle for draining. Are your tanks midship or at the rear of your unit? If they are at the rear of the trailer, I don't think you can adjust the height of the pipes. Good luck.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Hi Kirk,

If possible, could you post a photo? Might be easier for us to brainstorm a solution if we could see what the whole business looks like.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

"Deal with" may be the correct phrase. The previous owner of our trailer warned us that he had ripped the low hanging pipes to the gray and black tanks off on a fuel island in an undisclosed gas station. Unfortunately, they were FULL . He claims that he did not know what to do so he just drove away. Can you imagine!?!?

Our solution was to flip the axels in order to raise the trailer several inches. So far it has worked really well. I could not figure a way to raise the pipes and still get them to drain. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Brian and Delores Darsey

95 23' Towlight / F150 Fx4
Towlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #6

Angry

Yeck hate to of found that
Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towlighter View Post
"Deal with" may be the correct phrase. The previous owner of our trailer warned us that he had ripped the low hanging pipes to the gray and black tanks off on a fuel island in an undisclosed gas station. Unfortunately, they were FULL . He claims that he did not know what to do so he just drove away. Can you imagine!?!?

Our solution was to flip the axels in order to raise the trailer several inches. So far it has worked really well. I could not figure a way to raise the pipes and still get them to drain. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Brian and Delores Darsey

95 23' Towlight / F150 Fx4
I noticed some pictures of your trailer. It looks like the axles were flipped in it. I looks good. Any problems with it? Stablizer jacks reach ok?

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote