General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Default Need new tires

Hey everyone, first post here I believe!

Last year I got a 1985 Hi-Lo for $500, i'm not sure what model it is but it is 20' long. I need some new tires, the ones on it say F78 14, they are bias ply tires, but i'm not sure what this means in radial size any help would be appreciated. Thanks Christian
__________________

Hartness53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Moderator
 
RichR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NW PA
Posts: 3,347
Default

Try this website for starters: Availability of Replacement Trailer Tires for Size F78-14 Tires | etrailer.com

You should get tires made for trailers that have ST ratings. As to brand, that is a topic of discussion. Our Hi-Lo has Goodyear Marathon tires, made in USA.
__________________

__________________
My Great Wife Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
Formerly owned 1705T and 2310H
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Team
 
JackandJanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pine, AZ
Posts: 3,470
Default

As Rich said, it's all "discussion" (opinion). My trailer came with Goodyear Marathons. They both failed at about 5000 miles and two years due to cord separation. Yes, to answer your unasked questions, they were always inflated to 50 PSI cold, I pull the trailer at 65 MPH and I did not have enough extra equipment in the trailer to overload it (according to the placarded weights posted.) The OEM tires were load range C radials.

I have since gone to Maxxis M8008 ST radials, Load Range D. I am much happier with these new tires.

- Jack
__________________
Hi-Lo 1707T - Tire Minder TPMS on Tow Vehicle and Trailer, 300W Solar Battery Charger, Equal-i-zer WDH
2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 3.5L EcoBoost SCrew
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Moderator
 
RichR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NW PA
Posts: 3,347
Default

This is a little off the track, but invest in a good tire pressure gauge. A good quality dial type gauge is best. I have have seen the pencil type gauges give some pretty erratic readings. Tire pressure is critical on trailers and low pressure can mean tire failure. Always keep a tight eye on your tires.
__________________
My Great Wife Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
Formerly owned 1705T and 2310H
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Do NOT get tires made in China. We've owned several campers, and we refuse to take delivery of one with Chinese tires. They lack an ingredient that keeps them solid, and they will crack/separate in sometimes, less than a year. The code on the tire can be used to trace the source.
georgiapeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
As Rich said, it's all "discussion" (opinion). My trailer came with Goodyear Marathons. They both failed at about 5000 miles and two years due to cord separation. Yes, to answer your unasked questions, they were always inflated to 50 PSI cold, I pull the trailer at 65 MPH and I did not have enough extra equipment in the trailer to overload it (according to the placarded weights posted.) The OEM tires were load range C radials.

I have since gone to Maxxis M8008 ST radials, Load Range D. I am much happier with these new tires.

- Jack
I have the same tires as above,(Maxxis), did 12,400 miles to Alaska no problems. Always go with ST tires with the highest load range, watch your tire pressure, adjust your WD hitch so TV and RV are level, (equal load on tires) and you will rarely have tire problems.
__________________
Jim L & Faye
2805C
2003 Silvarado diesel crew cab
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples, Fl.
Posts: 59
Send a message via Skype™ to captbobster
Default

I don't understand why the Marathons are so bad. I have 4 on my 28 and 3 of them are from 2006 and one from 2009 and they all look new. Has anyone tried the recommendation from Goodyear of running 10lbs extra pressure if your going to run over 65mph? Also my tires were made in USA but I see the new ones are supposedly made in China, but they carry a 6 yr warranty. Maxxis are made in Taiwan, I guess nothing is made here anymore, not even Hi Lo's. I have also had Loadstar on a smaller trailer and had good luck with them, bought from etrailer.
Who know what causes some of these tires to go and others don't.
captbobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Bernardino, Ca.
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapeach View Post
Do NOT get tires made in China. We've owned several campers, and we refuse to take delivery of one with Chinese tires. They lack an ingredient that keeps them solid, and they will crack/separate in sometimes, less than a year. The code on the tire can be used to trace the source.
This is just false info. Please don't spread it.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
RCREYES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 1,247
Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
This is just false info. Please don't spread it.
So true. There is nothing wrong with Chinese made tires. I've used them on airplanes with no problems. (They are FAA approved.)
__________________
"Ruben"
2404T, 2003 2500HD 4X4 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab w/Astro camper shell and 2003 Chevy Tahoe LE 4X2
Far West Texas
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
PopRichie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Quakertown, PA
Posts: 1,073
Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77
Default

The country of manufacture is molded into the side wall of the tire near the rim, you don't have to crack any code to see where it was made, someone that says you do don't know what they are talking about. The Goodyear Marathons that came on my 2209 are made in China, also I bought a spare tire over a thousand miles from where I bought the trailer and it was made in China also. I am sure the tires have to meet Goodyear specs. I am not happy that things are not made in this country., but it doesn't mean that the quality can't be good.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
RCREYES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 1,247
Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
The country of manufacture is molded into the side wall of the tire near the rim, you don't have to crack any code to see where it was made, someone that says you do don't know what they are talking about. The Goodyear Marathons that came on my 2209 are made in China, also I bought a spare tire over a thousand miles from where I bought the trailer and it was made in China also. I am sure the tires have to meet Goodyear specs. I am not happy that things are not made in this country., but it doesn't mean that the quality can't be good.
Well said.
__________________

__________________
"Ruben"
2404T, 2003 2500HD 4X4 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab w/Astro camper shell and 2003 Chevy Tahoe LE 4X2
Far West Texas
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Hi-Lo Trailers Worldwide or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
HiLoTrailerForum.com Copyright 2010
×