Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #1

Default new to hi lo

Hi ! I am thinking about a hi lo because my husband is happy with our pop up and I am so ready to go to a travel trailer!! I thought a hi lo would be a nice compromise! But I really do not know much about them, other than the obvious. I am not computer savvy and I have been looking for websites to look for floor plans so I have an idea of what I even want so I can look for used ones. I have been reading a lot of the help answers here so I see what to look for when buying a used one...but I was trying to narrow down floor plan options without going to look at 100 trailers! thanks!! BTW, I know towing ability is important, we have a chevy tahoe..I will have to check what the tow ability is. Thanks again!

dianet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
TJM

Hi. I think that you have to decide a few things. #1-How often do you plan to go camping #2-How far will you be traveling #3-How many people will be going,most of the time My wife and I have a 1996 22' Hi-Lo. It is just her and I that go, most of the time. At times, we have our 2 older grandsons (8 and 6) although, this summer, we may have our 2 year along with the 2 older boys. The jury is still out on that. last year, we probably put 10,000 miles on our trailer and will probably do the same this year as we are leaving on a month long trip, next month, to the West Coast. Our 22 footer is great for my wife and I.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

thanks so much! We will always have at least 4, 2 teenagers and 2 adults. We camp mostly closer to home(kids still in school you know), within 5 hrs trips and maybe 3-4 times a year..want to go more with a great camper!! It will be easier for me to go alone with kids too. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianet View Post
thanks so much! We will always have at least 4, 2 teenagers and 2 adults. We camp mostly closer to home(kids still in school you know), within 5 hrs trips and maybe 3-4 times a year..want to go more with a great camper!! It will be easier for me to go alone with kids too. Thanks so much for your help!
Not a problem. What part of the country are you located in?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

We are in Alabama, but of course I am willing to go anywhere I need to in southeast . I am from Va, so I would not be opposed to a little road trip up that way either!!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
TJM

Quote:
We are in Alabama, but of course I am willing to go anywhere I need to in southeast . I am from Va, so I would not be opposed to a little road trip up that way either!!
We go as often as we can and plan on possibly purchasing a motorhome after our West Coast trip next month. We are taking our Hi-Lo to J & R in Butler Ohio next week and have it totally looked over. When we get back in late April, we will probably be selling it. If you are interested, let us know.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

Default 1972 and older Hilo Hydraulic Cylinders easy to reinstall and find parts

2" Bore, 16" Stroke, Tie Rod thread end & Clevis welded ,Hydraulic Cylinder for HILOs cheaper than 299.00 now charged on unknown brand by hilo parts dept.

Many are available with specs above and threaded 1 1/8 ends on EBAY
Check under trailer get specs ,call a few Hydraulic cylinder didtributors and buy Ebay delivered 200% cheaper.

Bailey Co. hydraulics
Maxum,hydraulics
Dukes, extreme hydraulics +++

Mr Swanson
jwswans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #8

Tom,

WOW, moving over to a motor home! Seems like it was just yesterday that you were looking for the nearest Hi-Lo Club, or to start one there in Missouri. If you don't mind my asking, what happened?

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #9

Talking

Good deals abound and all parts are interchangeable except general frame.
Xarriage and all other sundries are searchable by pat number of item or used Rv camper sites everywhere. Hydraulics are at Baileys hydraulics,& Cylinders .
Starters on old pumps are from ford as well as celloinids at most auto stores.
have fun get more out of gas buggy that stand up high trailer who knock branches off trees .
We visited Gila Dwellings witha 18 footer 1972 with no problems going slow in 2nd & 1st gear all the way down mountains.
getting out was easy.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #10

thanks for offering us yours!! I have just started looking so I guess the answer is...I'm not sure If I'm interested or not...because I don"t know what I'm doing yet!!! Is there a way to see the floor plan/layout to see how we would fit in it? I "m sure there are other important questions too, as I learn what they should be!!! thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Tom,

WOW, moving over to a motor home! Seems like it was just yesterday that you were looking for the nearest Hi-Lo Club, or to start one there in Missouri. If you don't mind my asking, what happened?

Jim
Jim,

Nothing happened. We are just in the thinking stage now. We really love our Hi-Lo.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! If you are near Huntsville, Alabama you may want to go check out 1 used and 2 brand new HiLo trailers at the RV dealership where we bought our HiLo from (per their website)..... I assume since both previous factory locations in Ohio are providing parts and one of them parts and service for HiLos, the dealer in Huntsville can make repairs as needed..... No factory warranty on new HiLos but there are service agreements available just like on new and used cars....
Ours is a 2007 and the only dealer service we have needed was on the air conditioner which HiLO and many other RV companies put on their units....
To avoid being accused of a spammer, email me - hilo2807c@gmail.com - for the dealers name and location... Good Luck!
Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #13

Smile NOT For Sale! sorry

Quote:
thanks for offering us yours!! I have just started looking so I guess the answer is...I'm not sure If I'm interested or not...because I don"t know what I'm doing yet!!! Is there a way to see the floor plan/layout to see how we would fit in it? I "m sure there are other important questions too, as I learn what they should be!!! thanks!
NOT FOR SALE Sorry!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #14

Smile NOT For Sale! sorry

Quote:
NOT FOR SALE Sorry!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #15

thanks for all the help!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #16

Default Some suggestions from a fellow Alabamian

Diane:
We just joined the HiLo club ourselves. If you can, stay away from the dealership in HSV. I have had bad service from them. One place you can find them is on oodle.com and set up an alert. I did that and we just drove to southern Indiana last week to purchase ours. It is used and we have some repairs to make, but have found J&R to be more than helpful.
TiderHiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #17

I meant to add, but forgot to at the time, the dealer in Hsv sells the big motor homes, so their interest is in those guys. I guess we "poor pop up people" and our money are not worth their time. There is also a dealer (does not specifically sell Hi Lo) who is also not very helpful.
If you find you need parts after purchasing a Hi Lo, J&R in Ohio is the best. i have had terrific help from Jim and Rob. And, they are in the old Hi Lo plant.
TiderHiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default floorplan layout

most hi-lo campers had the front fold down couch, optional drop down bed above the couch and a dinette that converts to a full bed. I would look under hi-lo floorplans on your google search or try to contact a (old) hi-lo dealer to see if they have any brochures laying around. Also on used hi-lo campers-oodle a lot of times dealers selling hi-los put the interior layout plan on their sales site . also ask what the great people on this site would recomend as their experiances have led them to what works and what doesn't. best of luck
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
sam

Default New to HiLo

Dianet, I'm responding to your post from a while ago. I think it is extremely important that you and your husband are 100% in favor of getting a HiLo. Anynused Hi Lo is going to need repairs/maintenance. I have some brochures of HiLos that will show you some of the layouts. E-mail me if you want me to put it in the mail for you. Smeraldo53135@Peoplepc.com I hope helps you. I have every confidence that you can hitch and travel with your children. We took two yrs. of looking before we bought our used HILo.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #20

depends on your wants & needs.me i didn't want to have to setup a bed each night,so my hi-lo bon voyage mod.#2278-R , has the bed in the back not on the side.i only need it to sleep in and the rest of the camper is accessible.the rest is a frig/freezer -stove/oven - double s.s. sink - bathroom with toilet/shower,the kitchen table stays down & it all travels that way,ready for me when i get to the c.site.theres only me & my dog & plenty of room so as not to feel trapped inside if it rains.They come with over head bunks too. (kids-company) Ive seen used hi-lo's go from free to outrageous so don't jump to quick . you'll know it when you see it.From what Ive seen HI-LO has a camper to fit everybody.good luck happy hunting & welcome....

FHILO is offline   Reply With Quote