Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32
Default Time for you to help me... 3 way fridge dilemma

Ok, for a whole year I was sure my cooling tube system on the back of the Dometic rm2611 fridge was ruined. this was after an exhausting search, and calls to many MFG's of replacement "cooling units" and electric controllers that go out freuently in the rm26xx series. (these are 49 inch tall double door, meaning top and bottom freezer/fridge).

Mine would (it is hot in summer in kansas) freeze the freezer, but never cool the fridge all the way last summmer. however last weekend, (high temps of 60 that weekend). Well I lit the dang thing becuase I had 3/4ths of a 20 lb bag of ice left over, and thought I might as well save it. I had the thermometer in fridge, and when I looked at after 8 hours, the dang fridge was down to 36 degrees, and stayed there all weekend, as I checked it about 4 times, no food in there becuase I was sure it never would keep cold.

So now I suspect the cooling fan on the back of the unit, and the thing gets hot enough it it quits cooling.

how can I force to see if the temp sensor is working, and where can I get another tep sensor? I know the fan works when it gets power, and I am in the middle of making this for my camper...

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f35/...rator-fan-261/

Old 05-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default fridge fan problem

maybee you could try to put a small forced air heater right below the outside inlet vents and check the temp inside the fridge and on the outside by the coils. I don't know if this will work or not, but it is a cheap idea to possibly check if the fan comes on . hope it works for you!

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

Sting,

Robo has a great idea. Just borrow your wife's (or girlfriend's) hair dryer and direct it on the little temp. sensor for the fan. If your unit has one, make sure the fan switch is "on." Wait to see if the fan kicks in. Redneck troubleshooting at its best!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Site Team

The sushidog mod doesn't pull much power, and I don't think there's any danger if the fan is ALWAYS on (if the switch is on). You could always bypass the temperature sensor and have it on anytime the fridge is on.

I turned our fridge on (AC power) the day before we left for a trip about a month ago but forgot to turn the fans on. Boy, was that area hot! (And the fridge was not getting cold.) Everything cooled down quickly though once the fans started.

- Jack
Old 05-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I found on our 2209 the fan runs most of the time in 90 degree weather. So doing the mod and using less power and leaving on all the time as Jack said shouldn't be a problem.
To test the thermostat in the cooling coil, remove the vent , bunch of screws and carefully pry off, if not careful you may have to replace. Use a hair dryer and blow hot air on the thermostat, you can even use a thermometer to see when the fan turns on.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
I found on our 2209 the fan runs most of the time in 90 degree weather. So doing the mod and using less power and leaving on all the time as Jack said shouldn't be a problem.
To test the thermostat in the cooling coil, remove the vent , bunch of screws and carefully pry off, if not careful you may have to replace. Use a hair dryer and blow hot air on the thermostat, you can even use a thermometer to see when the fan turns on.
Many thanks to all for the suggestions. I think I will direct wire it for a switch come to think about it, becuase 99 out of 100 times I use that fridege, we'll be plugged in... I found a small 110 powered fan (that has a brick to convert to 12v to actually operate the fan) it is part of the solution I am trying to incorporate, so when plugged in, fan(s) will come on, if I am on DC only, I will controll the other fan(s) with the switch.

Cool Beans! thanks guys!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post
SNIPED
Ok guess what I forgot to do? Yep shut everything off, except.... the fridge fan which is direct wired to the battery now, lol...

worked well, temps this Memorial weekend were only about 80's though, and the friggin wind in KS at Kannopolis, 50-80 MPH by Monday morning.

But I think I am good to go. I am adding another mod to this setup, since I bypassed the thermistat, I am hunting for a small box type fan, that runs 120v that I will leave on, but will only come on when plugged in this way I wont kill my battery when I do my impression of a zombie while unloading after 3 day weekends.

I will still have the 12v version when I am boondocking with switch. I think I need another thermostat, so it can save power at night and times,

what you think?