Originally Posted by FHILO
i have a 78 & on we'll say the drivers side about midway on the upper part near the roof is a covered plug.Now for 3 years when i needed to use the camper on electric (ac) i just hooked a cord up to the plug on the same side but more up front & on the bottom part of the camper.The cord that's in that little compartment. When i went to use some plugs they didn't work so i figured they must have something wrong & i'd have to find someone that knows more about it to look at it.He hooked a cord from the house to a power strip & then plugged the cord from the top plug of the camper to the strip.then ran the cord that's in that lower compartment of the camper to the strip too,doing this all my inside plugs now work. He said the top plug gives the top circuit power & the lower cord feeds the lower part,It does work but i don't know if that's the way its supposed to work .Is it??? & if so why does the cigarette lighter plug inside on upper part of the camper work with just the bottom of the camper plugged in?
Does your Hi Lo have an AC unit? Our first Hi Lo was a 22' 1970's model [I forget which year, 1977 I believe] It had the same hook-up that you are describing. I believe that upper connector is a male, correct?; we had to connect an extension cord to that male connector in order for our AC to run. Can't remember if the lights were on that circuit too but I'm sure they were not. I would suggest investing in a 12 gauge extension cord to ensure sufficient amperage to the AC and your other light circuits. I would think it best to run a separate extension cord to the land line rather than use a power circuit board.
I'm wondering if you have a group of wiring that runs up your black water vent pipe? That is where your upper lights including the cigarette lighter should be run. It may be that the previous owner had a wiring problem and somehow Jerry-rigged it? That would entail using a separate converter but not likely. To my knowledge, the outside receptacle was just for the AC unit.
One thing that I found very strange about that older unit that you need to be aware of. When using the fresh water tank and water pump, it would sometimes work and then quit for a while. After looking at it real close, at the pump motor, there was a ground wire screwed into the wood floor for a return ground. When in a real dry climate, the pump would quit working. Worked like a charm when I ran a ground wire to the frame ground.