Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-25-2024, 08:42 PM   #1

Default Lifting mechanism problem mystery

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Towlite 24 which I’ve recently had a broken lift cable replaced by a professional shop. The first 2 or three times the lift mechanism worked fine but started to lift very slow as molasses and takes a second person pumping the manual hand jack and a few minutes for it to get it to lock out at position at top. I added the proper type fluid, checked for any leaks and have lifted it about three times. The hydraulic pump sounds and appears to be working fine. I called Midget RV of Ohio where I bought the cable for tech advice but sadly they are no longer in business. I’m desperately seeking a knowledgeable technician or someone who can figure out the problem. I thought it was possible air trapped in the lines but to my understanding it self purges? I’m reside in South East Missouri. I’ve read most the threads seeking a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. God bless and enjoy the camping season! I’m of course grounded. I will see if I can attach a short video of how it’s malfunction by lifting at a snails pace.

Andrew

PatriotProud1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:21 AM   #2
Site Team

You don't mention the battery. Is it fully charged? Your post sounds like the battery voltage is low.

- Jack

Old 05-26-2024, 03:15 PM   #3

Yes I’ve even swapped the deep cycle batteries with new ones
Old 05-26-2024, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Apply wax to the guide tracks that the guide blocks ride on? If the battery is good and the lift motor is running at a normal rate, possibly you have some friction resistance there.

If there's no friction resistance, you possibly have a bad impeller in the hydraulic pump.

I suppose you MIGHT have a slightly open lowering valve too, that would prevent full pressure at the hydraulic ram, but if you can lift the top with the hand pump, that would not seem likely.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Apply wax to the guide tracks that the guide blocks ride on? If the battery is good and the lift motor is running at a normal rate, possibly you have some friction resistance there.

If there's no friction resistance, you possibly have a bad impeller in the hydraulic pump.

I suppose you MIGHT have a slightly open lowering valve too, that would prevent full pressure at the hydraulic ram, but if you can lift the top with the hand pump, that would not seem likely.

- Jack
Thanks I will try checking the slide block lubrication and go from there otherwise internal impeller is bad? I guess I’d have to contact the company that services monarch hydraulic pump. Thanks again for the suggestion and help.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:08 AM   #6

Good Morning.

I had a similar problem a few years back. It turned out to be the pump intake strainer inside the reservoir. Apparently after years of age and temperature change, a scummy film can build up restricting the flow. I cleaned mine with some brake parts cleaner, dried and reinstalled and took care of the issue. I of course put new fluid in at the same time and wiped out the tank as well.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.
97towlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:37 AM   #7
Site Team

Good catch, 97! That should certainly cause the symptoms Patriot is describing. I really doubt there's any problem with the pump in his case or with any of the seals in his system, since the top seems to raise normally if it is done by hand. The lowering valves being open would probably make it hard to raise the top manually as well. So, that leaves friction, a weak battery, or, a restriction in the supply of hydraulic fluid (which is what you had).

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote

« Monarch pump parts | - »