Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 09-14-2023, 12:05 AM   #1

Default Top Halve Creep

Hello everyone,
I have a very slow Top Halve Creep, trailer will stay up in its full extended height for about 3 days...then it settles on the safety bar. I have tried the bleeding method suggested by a forum member but it didn't make much of a difference. I have followed and checked all the lines underneath camper and I did not find or notice any hydraulic leaks. I suspect a small internal seal leak in the Hydraulic Cylinder (Ram).
HiLo use transmission fluid, so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding an automatic transmission sealer/conditioner to the HiLo hydraulic system to seal and stop small leaks? I suspect that the internal seals of my (1989 HiLo) hydraulics have become dry and hardened.

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:39 AM   #2
Site Team

The conditioners MAY work, but I'm somewhat afraid of them. I think if it were my trailer, I'd just activate the lift motor every 3 days to raise the top back up. The "settling" could correct itself with use. What you describe sounds a very slow leak.

- Jack

Old 09-15-2023, 07:50 AM   #3

Isn't the "Safety Bar" actually a "Resting Bar" to be the desired location for the top half? It removes the stress from the hydraulic system. Why would you want to keep that pressure on the hydraulic system?
DunhamsDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Team

Dunham - NO, it's not a "Resting Bar". It's a device to keep the top half from falling upon you when you are inside the trailer. The Owner's manual says to "Test that the safety bar is engaged by lowering the top on to it", but then you are supposed to raise the top again to its uppermost position, off the safety bar. I think it's possible the safety bar can become bent or otherwise distorted if the top rests on it.

There's actually no stress on the hydraulic system with the top up. There IS tension on the cables, and pressure in the ram, but those devices are built for that.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:55 PM   #5

I stand corrected.

Thank you.
DunhamsDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:11 PM   #6

I would not try any sealant or leak stop.
Inside the reservoir is a oil take tube which has a mesh fine screen to keep stuff out of the pump. I would suspect this screen would get clogged from leak stop.
AFIK, and bleed off will eventually return to the reservoir via the 'return' line.

rabird is offline   Reply With Quote