Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

Default What kind of fluid do I use?

Was curious. The owners manual mentions ATF fluid being in the pump. Can I use Hydraulic fluid? I noticed the fluid in it was red like ATF fluid but I assumed the guy that had it before just put the wrong thing in it. I drained what I could and topped it off with Hydraulic fluid.

motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Motorpig - I think you've made a mistake!

I believe the Owner's Manual specifies Dextron II fluid and nothing else. I've not been able to find Dextron II, but somewhere I read that Dextron III is an acceptable substitute. I suspect Dextron iV would be fine too. Anyway, I added some Dextron III to my reservoir to bring it up to the "cold fill" capacity (between 1/2"-1" below the filler port with the top down) and have had no problems.

I think you should drain the unknown hydraulic fluid and replace it with Dextron. Do it like a blood replacement transfusion. Drain as much fluid off as you can, then fill with Dextron, operate the top once to mix and repeat until the fluid is essentially all Dextron. I would not use anything but Dextron ATF.

If I'm out to lunch here, someone will quickly correct me.

- Jack

Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #3

If you use anything other than what is recommended ,you could ruin all the seals in the hydraulic system. That would be a very costly repair.
Pops46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Hydraulic fluid is compatible with synthetic seals only--Dextron is used with natural rubber seals. All transmissions used natural seals and so does our hydraulic system. Sorry, but the use of hyd fluid in this system will quickly dissolve these seals! strongly, recommend to do what Jack said. Get that hyd fluid out of there and hope you can reverse what's been done.
I saw a guy in the Navy use hyd fluid in his car, within a month he had to replace his tranny. Hyd fluid is NOT compatible with natural rubber seals.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

Ok, I went ahead and pulled the whole pump so I could drain it good. Their didn't appear to be any in the pressure line due to the camper being locked in the raised position when I topped the fluid off. So I think all will be good hopefully. However, when I pulled the pump I noticed my ground wire from the battery was just resting up under the pump and not hooked up anywhere. Don't know a lot about electronics but how was I getting a ground. Havent had 12v power due to the hot wire being cut (in a prior post) and haven't fixed the hot wire yet. So I'm guessing I still wouldn't of had 12v power even if I had already fixed the hot wire. Where does the ground from the battery go?
Old 02-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #6

I guess it was sandwiched up under motor through one of the bolts that secure the motor. Finally got it to lift enough to disengage the safety. Lowered it down about a foot and then back up again since obstructions inside was not clear. It's all slowly coming together. Now I can get it I my garage!
Old 02-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpig2342 View Post
Ok, I went ahead and pulled the whole pump so I could drain it good. Their didn't appear to be any in the pressure line due to the camper being locked in the raised position when I topped the fluid off. So I think all will be good hopefully. However, when I pulled the pump I noticed my ground wire from the battery was just resting up under the pump and not hooked up anywhere. Don't know a lot about electronics but how was I getting a ground. Havent had 12v power due to the hot wire being cut (in a prior post) and haven't fixed the hot wire yet. So I'm guessing I still wouldn't of had 12v power even if I had already fixed the hot wire. Where does the ground from the battery go?
Trailer was in the raised position when you topped the fluid off? If so, you will have a bigger mess on your hands when you lower the top as all of the excess fluid will be forced out of the tank. Fluid should only be added when the top is down, which in itself is a tricky, messy job.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #8

Yeah, I knew that would happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160220_170239.jpg (218.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Wish I had a space like that to park in. It may be close, but are you able to raise the Hi Lo once it's in there? That would be great! Another guest room!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Wish I had a space like that to park in. It may be close, but are you able to raise the Hi Lo once it's in there? That would be great! Another guest room!
Tree
Yeah, but not all the way up. Got nine foot ceiling. If it wasn't for the ac unit and the light fixtures in the garage I could. Still lacking about 4 inches. I'll use a couple of 4 x 4s on the outriggers as my safety. Thought about just removing the ac unit so it would lift all the way. Planning on resealing the roof anyway so why not go ahead and remove the ac and install a new seal on it. Going to be nice though being able to work on it no matter what the weather is like.